Welcome to the Club

Getting New Moms Adjusted to Mommyhood One Step at a Time

Group Home

Chores & allowance

Posted by on Mar. 24, 2013 at 1:59 PM
  • 5 Replies

How do you ladies go about chores in your family?  I am trying to find a good method for keeping track of chores & if they were completed.  I also am trying to figure some kind of reward/punishment plan to use.  My kids are 6,7,9 & 16.  What are the best chores for those ages & what are ways to do rewards/punishment?  I'm going to do allowance if they are completed on time but what if they miss a day or whine & complain?  Do I take away the allowance completely or dock just the day they missed or what?  And what is a good amount per week?

by on Mar. 24, 2013 at 1:59 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
AllofFive19
by Bronze Member on Mar. 24, 2013 at 4:47 PM

I don't take allowance away. My kids get paid for doing their chores. We have a chore chart on the fridge. They get paid for doing their chores. If they don't do their chores, they don't get paid, but we don't have any punishments. 

My thoughts are if you punish your kids for doing their chores, they'll figure why bother do them at all, and it be worse for you.

As far as a good amount, that's really up to you. Like 2 dollars for the 6 and 7 year old, 3 for the 9, and five for the 16? 

baconbits
by Bronze Member on Mar. 24, 2013 at 10:29 PM
1 mom liked this

We don't do allowances. To us you do certain things because you're part of the family and family works together. Now if they want to earn extra money for something then will set something up that they can do to earn the money.

MOMMY2MADDYNARI
by Member on Mar. 24, 2013 at 11:22 PM

My daughter is only 3 but she has certain chores that she has to do and she gets 2 dollars for her allowance per week.

Larisa72
by Member on Mar. 25, 2013 at 8:30 AM

I read "America's Cheapest Family Gets You Right on the Money" and adapted their chore/allowance policy to fit our family.  It's a point-based system with numerous opportunities to earn extra points, and thus more allowance.  they have: morning, school, chore, and roundup points for each day (different things in each area...for example, to earn the morning point they have to get dressed, eat breakfast, take vitamins, brush teeth, fix their lunch, school is not getting think times, completeing homework, and getting school stuff packed back into backpack....) there are other chores that they can do to earn more points like helping with dinner, doing their sibling's chore, etc. the minimum they need to earn is 27 - that's just doing the expected things (the 4 points above) and they get $0.20 per point until they reach 30 points....anything over 30 points goes up to $0.30 per point....there have been weeks when they get the absolute minimum ($5.40) and weeks when they've gotten nearly $18 because they've decided to help with everything around the house...it's up to them how much they earn

QuiltLover
by Jocelynn on Mar. 25, 2013 at 8:42 AM
1 mom liked this
The Bible teaches if a man doesnt work, he doesnt eat....not saying you should take away food...lol..just saying that is the way it is...if your husband did t work, he wouldnt get paid...I also agree with pp that we all live together and certain things need to be done so the family unit works...we didnt do allowances nor paid for good grades...the reward was the good grade. When they got older and started dating, we felt it was our responsibility to pay for the sons dates until he worked at a secular job...we bought whatever they needed and if we coukdnt afford it, they didnt need it......we are old school though...
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN