Welcome to the Club

Getting New Moms Adjusted to Mommyhood One Step at a Time

Group Home

Needed: Inspiration for Frugal Suppers

Posted by   + Show Post

We have a family of five and my husband is the sole financial provider.  He is paid biweekly and like many families finances are a little tight near payday.  What is some of your favorite recipes to stretch the family budget?

If you don't mind please include the approximate price per serving.   eating

by on Apr. 15, 2013 at 5:20 PM
Replies (41-46):
oddfox
by Member on Apr. 17, 2013 at 8:06 AM

My kids think it's nuts but I keep a "pantry". Freeze cheeses and meats and vegs. So if something is a really good deal, I buy in quantity and then rotate meals. It really depends on what is available near you. We have a bump and dent grocer with a decent produce section. A small grocer with good bulk chicken and ground beef sales. And a farm lady we buy eggs off of. ($1 a flat, which is awesome.) I use reconstituted NF dry milk in all recipes. But you asked for recipes.

Homemade pizza. Bulk bought yeast, sale flour, homemade sauce, sale cheese, sale sweet peppers or brocholli or spinach. Makes one large pizza (the size of a cookie sheet). Under $3

Stuffed potatoes. Sale potatoes, a white sauce made with NF dry milk and American cheese added with a little dry mustard, salt, parmesean, garlic powder, sale brocholli for toppers, or left over meat sauce instead of cheese combo, or grated cheddar, sour cream and salsa. Easily under $4

Leftover soup. You know those bits and pieces left over from dinners? (If you have any.) A couple tablespoons of corn or green beans or even meats. Keep them and liquids from cooking vegs or homemade stock in the freezer and when the container is full heat it up. (I use a quart tupperware for 4 of us.) Season to taste. Serve with a homemade bread, like Cuban bread, or baking powder biscuits or muffins. Cheap.

Quiche. Works best with savory cheeses like colby or cheddar. Homemade crust, eggs, milk, cheeses, chopped onion sauteed, miscellaneous vegs, we like spinach or brocholli, salt, a dash of nutmeg, fresh ground pepper. About $4.

In colder weather we like lentil stew. Lentils, water, chopped onion, chopped carrots, and a ham bone. Cook until done (works well in a crock pot). Salt and pepper to taste. Take the meat off the bone, chop fine and add to the soup. Also served with a crusty bread like Cuban. Under $5.

Hope this helps.

amandac4s
by on Jun. 4, 2013 at 11:23 AM
If you have cable, there is this show on the food network called 10$ meals for a family of four. I am sure that you could spend an extra couple of dollars to spread it in to a family of 5. On this show she gives the price per person.
alc4evermom
by on Jun. 7, 2013 at 7:38 AM
1 mom liked this

For starters, make your own chicken stock by boiling----when it cools take the fat layer off the top but leave the gelatin.  Then you can add it to beans and brown rice, and add veggies or dried hot Chili's.  this is healthy poor food in our house.

1frog
by on Oct. 11, 2013 at 5:59 PM

I don't have prices for  you, but legumes make a good, cheap meal, when it gets lean you can add more water and a few veggies and you have soup. Casseroles can be stretched pretty far. Always use your leftovers. We make something we call refrigerator soup often. Take all the leftovers, throw in a pot, and add a little of this or that as needed. Somehow it always turns out good.

1frog
by on Oct. 11, 2013 at 6:00 PM

Yep, I do that, and if it can't be used right away, I freeze it for other things later.

Quoting alc4evermom:

For starters, make your own chicken stock by boiling----when it cools take the fat layer off the top but leave the gelatin.  Then you can add it to beans and brown rice, and add veggies or dried hot Chili's.  this is healthy poor food in our house.

newbie1198
by New Member on Oct. 30, 2013 at 10:19 AM

bump

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement