Welcome to the Club

Getting New Moms Adjusted to Mommyhood One Step at a Time

Group Home

Put away money

Posted by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 7:51 AM
  • 24 Replies

What was your best way of putting away money?

Random Crap
by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 7:51 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
michiganmom116
by Gold Member on Apr. 24, 2013 at 8:16 AM
2 moms liked this

I "skim" a little off DH's paycheck, just the odd amounts.  I will also take cash to the store and then put away anything left over. 

baconbits
by Bronze Member on Apr. 24, 2013 at 9:09 AM
3 moms liked this

We have a change jar that all our change goes into at the end of the night. Pennies go in a seperate jar for VBS as "Pennies are for Jesus" offering night. It's amazing how much change adds up. We have almost $200 in change in just 6 months and penny night at VBS yields about $800 for whoever the mission is that year just in penny's!

ivf_blessed
by Bronze Member on Apr. 24, 2013 at 11:10 AM
2 moms liked this

Before I started using an online budgeting system, I would increase all deductions to the nearest $1 and decrease all deposits by $100 in my check register.  If the deposit was under $100, I just didn't register it all.  This help me keep a nice cushion in my acct - just in case - my 'emergency fund'. 

Once I started using my online budgeting system (ynab) I now budget to the penny and have sinking funds for EVERYTHING that I might need money for this year - e.g. I have already saved $1500 towards summer camp costs for my 2 kids.

As for any cash that comes my way - well, I let's just say that I consider myself a cash hoarder.  LOL  I roll coins (these really do add up fast!) and because I am budgeted for everything, cash is an automatic savings for me.  I do use it to pay the kids allowance, which is part of my online budget however I see no reason to go to the bank & withdraw the money so I keep a "Cash" Acct online for this purpose only.

This year, I am participating in the 52 Week Money Savings Challenge so the rest of my cash mainly goes to that.

Larsbug
by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 4:49 PM
3 moms liked this

what seems to work best for us is to pay our bills first, then only leave in checking what is needed for groceries and gas for the next 2 weeks and the rest goes into savings (and forget you have it unless you need it)

elizabooks
by Member on Apr. 24, 2013 at 5:31 PM
2 moms liked this
can't leave any money in the accounts as dh think of it as extra fun money.
so i stash it around the house in sealed envelopes. All change goes into various change jars - pennies separate for fun stuff, nicles are for food based treats, dimes are for trips, quarters are for books.

every six months i take the envelopes and pay on either a bill, or for a home improvement project. honestly it doesn't seem to do much, the papers never get higher than $2000 and the coinage is never more than $300. bury if i dust do this when emergencies hit i would be sool.
sugarsmom2
by Member on Apr. 25, 2013 at 12:24 PM
2 moms liked this

this is something i keep preaching to my kids well adult children . that they need to put back money and then not touch it for anything but emergency . but they seem to think if they have it they must spend it . anything is better then saving to them . want to get them to see a this is better way to do things .

Pheiona
by on Apr. 26, 2013 at 6:33 AM

My parents started that when i was a kid but as i got older and got a job they didnt do it any more. thats when i need help with saving the most

Quoting sugarsmom2:

this is something i keep preaching to my kids well adult children . that they need to put back money and then not touch it for anything but emergency . but they seem to think if they have it they must spend it . anything is better then saving to them . want to get them to see a this is better way to do things .

Random Crap
Medusa686
by on Apr. 26, 2013 at 9:13 AM
3 moms liked this

Each month $100 goes to savings account automatically via online banking.  Its also good not to keep too much money in checking so you don't spend it. Only keep what you need to pay bills, buy food etc. 

AllofFive19
by Bronze Member on Apr. 26, 2013 at 3:26 PM
1 mom liked this

Rounding every purchase up to the next dollar is the best way. Even if something costs 19.01, stash the other 99 cents.

JoquinsMommie
by Member on Apr. 28, 2013 at 3:52 PM
3 moms liked this

I have one of these we keep money in

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement