Welcome to the Club

Getting New Moms Adjusted to Mommyhood One Step at a Time

Group Home

What was your best way of putting away money?

Random Crap
by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 7:51 AM
Replies (21-24):
Alwaysmotivated
by Member on May. 6, 2013 at 8:01 PM

Automatic withdrawals from paycheck to bank account or 401k.. Saving small change, Bank of America offers a program, imagine every dollar you spend the change can go into your savings account, it adds up over time...

jthompson1976
by New Member on May. 7, 2013 at 12:21 AM

i found hiding money in my mid son room in a box is great way for me

FindersKeepers
by Bronze Member on May. 7, 2013 at 1:57 AM

I opened a savings account at a separate bank and would just put any extra money in there.    At first it was just $5-20... whatever I had extra or if I got some weird windfall.   

Keeping savings at a separate bank makes it not as accessible... we could  not save money when I could transfer it from savings to checking on my phone or computer so easily.   We got a standard debit card for our savings that cannot be used as a credit card... so if we need $ from it we have to make an effort to get it.

oddfox
by Member on May. 7, 2013 at 1:27 PM

I do grocery shopping with cash. This covers soaps, foods, garden supplies and the like. Anything left over from the budgeted amount goes into another envelope for family fun of some sort. Like McDonald's or a movie. All grocery change goes into a jar. That's for more spontaneous giving. Anticipated expenses are actually budgeted for and remain in the bank. So our next used car, college fund, vacation, Christmas gifts, giving, etc., all have separate accounts in our books and are untouchable. We have a small emergency fund and savings for retirement if something really bad happens.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement