Welcome to the Club

Getting New Moms Adjusted to Mommyhood One Step at a Time

Group Home

About staying at home....

Posted by on Apr. 30, 2013 at 4:47 PM
  • 4 Replies

I have been a working woman since I was 15. Unfrtunately, I have never made that much money. I am reliable and have a ton of skills, but anyone only wants me for entry-level positions. I live in a really expensive city - Chicago. I recently became unemployed (not available for unemployment). but I was wondering- how did anyone decide to stay home after working? I can't justify going back just to make $12/hour with no benefits. But Not bringing in income isn't an option either. 

I'm just so torn. 

by on Apr. 30, 2013 at 4:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
michiganmom116
by Gold Member on Apr. 30, 2013 at 6:25 PM
1 mom liked this

When I considered all of the things that staying at home can SAVE, it may absolutely no sense to go back to work after the birth of our 4th child.

No more daycare

cost of gas & vehicle upkeep went down

wardrobe costs went down for the whole family because I had time to mend clothes instead of just throwing things away and buying new.  I also have time to shop thrift stores/yard sales for great clothing deals.

food costs went down (I had more time to cook from scratch, increase garden size, shop for sales, and meal plan)

I took in a couple of extra kids while their moms worked.  This gave my kids someone to play with AND some extra money

I took my skills and offered independent work.  ex.  I kept the books for a real estate office.  I decorate special occasion cakes.

daisytr5
by New Member on May. 1, 2013 at 8:03 AM
This is a difficult one. Personally I have found it cost more for me to have an entry level job than it is a help. When i first stopped working it was cause we moved states and I didn't need to. But we could use the extra money and I recently graduated with a BS in psychology. Of course I can't find a job. I have tried lower paying jobs but after daycare, gas, and food my husband usually makes me quit cause i end up costing money. Every situation is difficult but most you can do if your similar to me is try to make money from home :)
k8lyn111
by New Member on May. 11, 2013 at 2:05 AM

I became a distributor for itworks and have been able to leave my 9-5 job to be a fulltime stay at home mom and can still make a full time pay check! Check out my website "Wrappin' up Btown" 

I sell ALL NATURAL body wraps, vitamins, weight loss supplements, and skin care products. A little something for everyone. Let me know if you are interested!!

Here is my website with my contact info!

https://kaitlyntobin.myitworks.Com/home

iHEAVENn
by New Member on May. 11, 2013 at 2:07 AM

It cost us more for me to work than it does for me to stay home. Plus with me home there is someone to keep up with the chores

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN