Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Family Piggy Bank The Family Piggy Bank

Planning a party and need some help please

Posted by on Jun. 10, 2013 at 9:55 AM
  • 6 Replies
Hi all! I graduated from my OTA program Saturday the 8th and next Saturday the 15th is my birthday :) My husband and I came up with the idea to have a 3 in 1 party (Summer Kickoff, graduation and birthday all combined). We need some ideas for food. We were thinking like a sandwich meat and cheese thing along with some easy finger foods. Any one have any ideas other than a veggie tray and chips? Also, I had invited about 100 people (all family and close friends), but yet only about 20 or so have responded. How many should I plan for? Thanks!
by on Jun. 10, 2013 at 9:55 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
PB0824
by Member on Jun. 11, 2013 at 8:05 AM

Congrats & Happy Birthday on the 15th!!!  

For parties, I suggest:  Hot dogs & hamburgers on grill, and maybe even chicken breast on the grill.  Macaroni salad, potato salad, coleslaw, garden salad, pickles, fruit platter, chips, cookies.  Maybe add baked beans.  Because of your special celebration though, I would have a special cake made for graduation and birthday.  If your family does not like cake, you could always get ice cream or the ice cream in cups (marketed for little kids) work great for picnics.  

If money is tight and you have close friends or relatives who are willing to bring something to help out, tell them the things you want and maybe they will offer to bring something.  We put all of the above food items out for under 20 people.  The cooked meats are usually gone by that night, but most all of the other dishes we have left overs. Sometimes we serve lunch and then dinner at our summer picnics, it helps reduce the amount of left overs.  Have fun.

rory10
by New Member on Jun. 11, 2013 at 8:08 AM
1 mom liked this
Baked pasta is easy and inexpensive
tashraq87
by Member on Jun. 11, 2013 at 8:41 AM

Thanks! We were going to do the hamburgers and hot dogs but then DH would be at the grill all night and not able to socialize :/  I am not much of a cake person, and neither is the rest of the the family. I know for drinks we are doing BYOB with the exception of bottled water, cheap soda and then either capri suns or those hugge juices for the kiddos. My MIL asked if she needed to bring anything and I told her I'd let her know. Right now I am more stressed about getting the house cleaned up (more just vaccuming and figuring out what to do with all the junk in the spare bedroom to make room for some friends staying over :/ ).

Quoting PB0824:

Congrats & Happy Birthday on the 15th!!!  

For parties, I suggest:  Hot dogs & hamburgers on grill, and maybe even chicken breast on the grill.  Macaroni salad, potato salad, coleslaw, garden salad, pickles, fruit platter, chips, cookies.  Maybe add baked beans.  Because of your special celebration though, I would have a special cake made for graduation and birthday.  If your family does not like cake, you could always get ice cream or the ice cream in cups (marketed for little kids) work great for picnics.  

If money is tight and you have close friends or relatives who are willing to bring something to help out, tell them the things you want and maybe they will offer to bring something.  We put all of the above food items out for under 20 people.  The cooked meats are usually gone by that night, but most all of the other dishes we have left overs. Sometimes we serve lunch and then dinner at our summer picnics, it helps reduce the amount of left overs.  Have fun.

michiganmom116
by Gold Member on Jun. 11, 2013 at 8:52 AM
1 mom liked this

deviled eggs

fruit skewers (grapes, mandarin oranges, chunks of pineapple, strawberries, blueberries, etc. on toothpicks)

brownies or cupcakes

NO idea how many to plan for, although general rule of thumb for weddings & graduation parties is 75% of what you invited...maybe make some phone calls?

tashraq87
by Member on Jun. 11, 2013 at 9:03 AM

Fruit Skewers! Didn't think of that- YUM! I am SLOWLY hearing back from people. I know that here in town there is a firemans appreciation dinner that night abnd whatdayaknow? Quite a few of my hubby's friends are volunteers :/ Also, one of his friends wife's is planning a surprise 30 bday for her husband that night....AFTER I had already made these plans...what a bitch! So I am fairly sure I lost more people to that.... :( Oh well, I will know who truly cares when they show up!

Quoting michiganmom116:

deviled eggs

fruit skewers (grapes, mandarin oranges, chunks of pineapple, strawberries, blueberries, etc. on toothpicks)

brownies or cupcakes

NO idea how many to plan for, although general rule of thumb for weddings & graduation parties is 75% of what you invited...maybe make some phone calls?

rory10
by New Member on Jun. 11, 2013 at 12:09 PM
And make a batch or 2 ahead of time in disposable pans from the dollar store and warm it back up on the grill

Quoting rory10:

Baked pasta is easy and inexpensive

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)