Welcome to the Club

Getting New Moms Adjusted to Mommyhood One Step at a Time

Group Home

52 Week Money Challenge HALF WAY POINT!!!

Posted by on Jun. 24, 2013 at 12:44 PM
  • 10 Replies

Hi Ladies,

I am finally back - in good health and moved into my new place.  Sorry I was MIA for so long. =0)

I'm so happy to be back on CM, especially in time for the half way point on this challenge!

This is the start of Week 26 and if you are following along, you should have saved $351 by the end of this week.

Please check in and let us know how you are doing!

by on Jun. 24, 2013 at 12:44 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Larisa72
by Member on Jun. 24, 2013 at 9:21 PM
1 mom liked this

put my $$ in on Saturdays, so I should be at goal this weekend....maybe a little over goal, not 100% sure and not going to check right now, but I know I'm fairly close......

Larisa72
by Member on Jun. 27, 2013 at 6:26 PM
1 mom liked this

put $$ in today since I had it on me...have $353.50 set aside...not as far ahead as I was, but at least I'm finally back on track {sigh}

ivf_blessed
by Bronze Member on Jun. 28, 2013 at 8:07 AM

I am below - not sure by how much off the top of my head - maybe by about $125.  I've been using the money for things for the new place but I think I'm finally done.  The kids' rooms are finally furnished with some lovely vintage/antique pieces that were actually cheaper than brand new pieces from furniture stores.

Amazing how they can sell particle board junk for 3 times the price of a solid antique piece.

Quoting Larisa72:

put $$ in today since I had it on me...have $353.50 set aside...not as far ahead as I was, but at least I'm finally back on track {sigh}

Larisa72
by Member on Jun. 28, 2013 at 10:01 AM

Sad, isn't it??  We found DD's headboard and bedframe at an indoor yardsale to raise money for the SPCA - $15 for all, DSs desk at a second hand store for $25......those things would have been at least 3x that much for "modern" stuff in regular stores.

Then again, I found an actual, not reproduction, Victorian sofa on CraigsList for $100 :-)  Needed work, but still, to get an original for that price...AWESOME....we've already replaced the springs and retied them, have a layer of burlap holding everything in place, just need to decide on the padding (NOT using original which was raw cotton, hay, and old quilts!), and order the fabric.  DH wants to clean up a little more of the wood (Oxyclean removes old stain and grime) and then we'll get back to work on it.

Glad you're mostly back :-)  I figure I really only have until the first weekend in August to get money set aside, because I think that's tax-free weekend on clothes and school supplies, so.....yeah, I foresee shopping with the kiddos...lol

ivf_blessed
by Bronze Member on Jun. 28, 2013 at 10:39 AM

I didn't know that about Oxyclean - thanks for the tip.  I'm actually just learning about restoring, refinishing  or painting old furniture.  I've never been very 'handy' but I enjoyed finding the pieces so much that I figure, I would give it a go.  Most of the things I bought were under $75 (beds, end tables, bench).  I did buy my son a mahogany chest of drawers that was in great shape for $170 but my biggest expense was this beautiful golden oak dresser for my DD.  I was able to talk them down to $425 from "$500 firm".  It reminds me of my grandmother and it was in such great shape - I just couldn't pass it up.  Neither of the bigger pieces needed any work, just a good cleaning.

ivf_blessed
by Bronze Member on Jun. 28, 2013 at 10:41 AM

Oh and I'm really going to try to wait for tax free weekend.  I've always bought througout the summer whenever I saw something on sale and then end up kicking myself tax free weekend b/c I already have everything.  LOL

baconbits
by Bronze Member on Jun. 28, 2013 at 2:48 PM

Mine is back down to zero right now. There were a lot of things that came up and it was either use the cash or charge the credit card. I'll use the cash any day over charging up the credit card again. Hopefully I'll be able to start again soon but money is supper tight right now.

ivf_blessed
by Bronze Member on Jun. 28, 2013 at 2:55 PM

Sorry it's so tight right now but I totally agree with you...use cash over credit always!

Hope things get better for you fast!

Quoting baconbits:

Mine is back down to zero right now. There were a lot of things that came up and it was either use the cash or charge the credit card. I'll use the cash any day over charging up the credit card again. Hopefully I'll be able to start again soon but money is supper tight right now.

DamianaFire
by New Member on Jun. 28, 2013 at 9:05 PM
I love this idea. I've never seen it before. I'll be 26 weeks behind y'all but I'm starting it tomorrow. It's such a simple plan. Very easy. The hard part is not using it. I'll hide it so I'm the only one that knows about it. I can't wait to hear how everyone does.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
morning_glories
by Member on Jul. 2, 2013 at 10:47 AM

Great habit forming idea. I will definately give it a shot.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN