Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Does anyone actually make money on Ebay??

Posted by on Jul. 7, 2013 at 3:05 PM
  • 18 Replies
2 moms liked this

Trying to think of some ways to make extra $$. Have you or anyone you've known actually made a money by selling on Ebay? I'm not saying I wanna get rich but any extra income would help. I haven't done any business with them in YEARS. Their fees as well as Paypal's fees just got ridiculous IMO.

by on Jul. 7, 2013 at 3:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
baconbits
by Bronze Member on Jul. 8, 2013 at 10:54 AM

I do make money on ebay but not tons. I go to auctions and buy a bunch of stuff cheap! We're talking a dollar a box! I'll hit it lucky and find an item or two that I can sell on ebay. My latest treasures came when I got a whole table of stuff for $15. It almost filled up our truck. On the table was a punch bowl with a SILVER rim that sold for $85! There was also a vintage 101 Dalmation lamp that sells for $25 plus a bunch of other items. The rest we're selling at a yard sale and should make another $150 off of it. The great thing about this table is that it was stuff that other people had already bought in box lots and then left what they didn't want behind or was stuff that didn't sell the first time thru.

The key to ebay is you MUST get the stuff super cheap in order to make any money.

My hubby bought an old John Deere Lawn tractor with no engine for $100. We're parting it out on Ebay and so far have made $150 in profit! It's amazing what all those little knobs are worth as well as the mower deck ($175), hood, belts, wheels, etc.

We also are constantly looking for stuff at yard sales. I really go for craft kits, fabrics, etc. I know what they costs in the store and what I can sell them for on Ebay. I've bought the baby cross stitch kits for $5 which might seem high but turned around and sold them for $30.Even with all the fees and initial costs it's about $20 profit.

Vintage Christmas items also go well on ebay if you can get them cheap enough. I've bought them for a quarter each and sold them for $3- $5. Not alot of money but it adds up.

Our biggest thing we ever bought and sold was a travel trailer my hubby bought from the Credit Union and boy did it STINK inside. By the time we were done we had $1500 in it but sold it on Ebay for $6000! He's been looking for another deal like that to do as he loves to fix things upl

bodacious20
by New Member on Jul. 10, 2013 at 12:57 PM

I sell on eBay (off and on for 8 years) in my spare time and make around $150-$200 a month.  It's not a lot of money and sometimes it takes quite a bit of time to take pictures, write listings, answer questions, ship items, etc.  The "trick" is finding the right items to sell for a price that will net a decent profit after costs/fees.  My advice is to find a few things around your home that you no longer need/use and list them for sale.  You'll either love the rush you get from selling something or you'll shrug your shoulders and say "that wasn't really worth it".

bahamamama61
by Bronze Member on Jul. 13, 2013 at 3:31 AM
1 mom liked this
I'm hoping my son can help me sell some stuff on E-Bay:)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
RoseWall
by on Jul. 13, 2013 at 4:00 AM

i have wondered this exact thing. great post

acrogodess
by on Jul. 15, 2013 at 9:53 AM
I only made money there once.

I was.lucky enough to find a half dollar.from the 1800s and the coin place at the mall tried to offer me.$3 for it. I sold it for $89 on ebay
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Alwaysmotivated
by Member on Jul. 17, 2013 at 8:06 PM

Hi Ladies, How are you.. I'm glad for this post.. I have quite a few things that I want to sell but don't even know where to begin.. I have a pair of boots that I have never worn.. I am looking at others and how they list and then will try to follow .. fingers crossed

busymommy2013
by on Jul. 17, 2013 at 8:07 PM
I know a lady who makes her living off if eBay. She has a nice house too.
baconbits
by Bronze Member on Jul. 18, 2013 at 9:22 AM
2 moms liked this

Ebay is NOT for a one time sale unless it would be for a large item like a car/camper. There's a lot of work that goes into setting up the account, setting up Paypal, getting your accounts linked, your checking & credit cards linked, etc.

If you only have one or two items you might be better off going to a friend or someone else who sells on Ebay and asking them to sell the item for you for a %.

This has been a FANTASTIC week for me. You get 18,000 LOL like who can list that many!)listings free from July 14 - July 20 if you're "invited".

I shoved everything that I could on there and still have more to list tonight. I'm at $300 and still selling! Yea me! Gonna pay almost 1/2 of a bill off!

jwhit8791
by Member on Jul. 18, 2013 at 10:49 AM

I know that you sell things you find at auction......but do you sell things around your house also?  I got that invite also and I probably have things that we don't use anymore but sometimes I think that people probably wouldn't want to buy it. 

Great job with paying off a bill!

Quoting baconbits:

Ebay is NOT for a one time sale unless it would be for a large item like a car/camper. There's a lot of work that goes into setting up the account, setting up Paypal, getting your accounts linked, your checking & credit cards linked, etc.

If you only have one or two items you might be better off going to a friend or someone else who sells on Ebay and asking them to sell the item for you for a %.

This has been a FANTASTIC week for me. You get 18,000 LOL like who can list that many!)listings free from July 14 - July 20 if you're "invited".

I shoved everything that I could on there and still have more to list tonight. I'm at $300 and still selling! Yea me! Gonna pay almost 1/2 of a bill off!

baconbits
by Bronze Member on Jul. 18, 2013 at 4:18 PM

I sell thinigs from whereever I can get them. Some are things the kids have outgrown, fabric that didn't get made up quick enough, yard sales, auctions, etc. If it's something that I'd be willing to put in a yard sale I take a second look at it and think "If I sell it for a buck at a yard sale can I sell it for $5 on Ebay?" If it's yes then by all means I'll try and sell it on Ebay first. You just have to keep your eye's open to any possibilities of where to get stuff. I've even had people give me stuff because they didn't want to deal with it.

Quoting jwhit8791:

I know that you sell things you find at auction......but do you sell things around your house also?  I got that invite also and I probably have things that we don't use anymore but sometimes I think that people probably wouldn't want to buy it. 

Great job with paying off a bill!

Quoting baconbits:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)