Welcome to the Club

Getting New Moms Adjusted to Mommyhood One Step at a Time

Group Home

Bacon???

Posted by on Aug. 8, 2013 at 4:09 PM
  • 12 Replies

Have you bought bacon lately? 

The price has sky rocketed in our area.  I vaguely remember there being a warning about it a few months ago, but can't remember why.   The Costco 4 pack is normally $10, was out of stock for a while and came back at $16.  

Anyone else notice this?

by on Aug. 8, 2013 at 4:09 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
michiganmom116
by Gold Member on Aug. 8, 2013 at 4:20 PM
1 mom liked this

No, I haven't noticed.

The price went up (I heard) because of the illness that swept through CAFO pig farms this year, killing a LOT of pigs.  Supply diminishes, cost goes up.

chicken13
by Member on Aug. 8, 2013 at 8:04 PM
1 mom liked this

It's been ridiculous for awhile...

FindersKeepers
by Bronze Member on Aug. 8, 2013 at 10:20 PM

Oh, I must have had enough in the freezer until now...  =(

Quoting chicken13:

It's been ridiculous for awhile...

michiganmom116
by Gold Member on Aug. 9, 2013 at 6:20 AM

I still pay less than $3/pkg.

baconbits
by Bronze Member on Aug. 9, 2013 at 10:57 AM

Part of it was the illness killing the piglets and part of it is the high cost of feed. What the pigs are eating now is the last of 2012's crop. If you recall much of the midwest was flooded out last year. The 2013 crops have not yet come in. When you combine that the farmers lost several piglets and are paying more for the cost of feed that cost is passed on to the consumer.

We raise our own meat and are just now finishing off the bacon. Hate the idea of having to buy it. You might consider trying to buy the "ends" of the bacon which are basically odd shapped pieces but are still bacon. It's usually much less. People don't want to eat things that don't look perfectly shaped. Don't know why as it all tastes the same to me.

FindersKeepers
by Bronze Member on Aug. 9, 2013 at 11:42 AM

Thanks for the explanation.    I have been buying the bacon ends.  I normally just buy it for soup, ect but have been using it for breakfast now too.   Our butcher actually leaves quite a lot of good meet on the ends and it is around $3 for nearly 2lbs.   I just didn't get what happened to bacon everywhere else since it is up near $7/lb and even when up so much at Costco.

Quoting baconbits:

Part of it was the illness killing the piglets and part of it is the high cost of feed. What the pigs are eating now is the last of 2012's crop. If you recall much of the midwest was flooded out last year. The 2013 crops have not yet come in. When you combine that the farmers lost several piglets and are paying more for the cost of feed that cost is passed on to the consumer.

We raise our own meat and are just now finishing off the bacon. Hate the idea of having to buy it. You might consider trying to buy the "ends" of the bacon which are basically odd shapped pieces but are still bacon. It's usually much less. People don't want to eat things that don't look perfectly shaped. Don't know why as it all tastes the same to me.

QuiltLover
by Jocelynn on Aug. 9, 2013 at 5:47 PM

I checked last week at Walmart, generic brand was $4.95 one pound package

Ariellasmom
by Member on Aug. 12, 2013 at 8:55 PM
Funny you speak of bacon op. i just recently clipped two coupons for $1.00 off 2 packs of smithfield bacon lol. i hope that the price of bacon goes down so i can actually use those coupons and actually save some money .
Kitten1025
by Kitten1025 on Aug. 16, 2013 at 3:25 PM
1 mom liked this

Bacon has gotten very high around here and I haven't brought any in a while due to the prices being CRAZY!  For a good name brand bacon it is about $6 to 8 a pound.  The cheapest I have seen is $4.95 for some strange name brand bacon, and that is only for 12 oz.

kjbugsmom1517
by Member on Aug. 16, 2013 at 4:00 PM
It has gottin rediculous. I sent my hubby for some one day and he called and said "is it always this expensive" before he bought it lol. So yea its just nuts.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN