Welcome to the Club

Getting New Moms Adjusted to Mommyhood One Step at a Time

Group Home

TIME TO TALK TO BOYS ABOUT BIRDS & THE BEES?

Posted by on Aug. 17, 2013 at 7:32 PM
  • 3 Replies

I have an almost 12 year old son and I am getting the gut feeling I (or my hubby) should have "the talk" with our son about the birds and the bees.  He is going into 7th grade.  So far no one has explained that kind of stuff to him.  What do you guys think?

by on Aug. 17, 2013 at 7:32 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
clairewait
by Member on Aug. 17, 2013 at 9:18 PM

I'd say yes.

But only you know your son and what he's into.

I was a public HS teacher, and from that perspective, 7th grade is almost too late. They didn't have sex-ed in 6th grade??

But again, every kid is different. I'd say open the door now, get the awkwardness over with. He probably actually knows a lot more than you think he knows.

Claire Wait

My blog: TheUnderToad.com

PB0824
by Member on Aug. 18, 2013 at 8:39 PM

About 6 months ago, I bought my son a book called "My Body, My self for boys".  I put it on my book shelf and said it would be there when he wanted to read it.    Now I can have the talk with him.  In 6th grade health class he said they only talked about not smoking cigarettes.

The only thing holding me back is I am afraid my husband may not agree about talking to him right now about things.  Honestly I think my son and I have a closer relationship any way.  So, I feel that its time to talk.

brenatens
by Member on Aug. 20, 2013 at 9:31 AM
I would say to go for it. You would rather get the correct information to him now, then have him get whatever his friends tell him. Also, at this age I would talk to him about dating and how he should treat a woman.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN