Welcome to the Club

Getting New Moms Adjusted to Mommyhood One Step at a Time

Group Home

Well water?

Posted by on Aug. 22, 2013 at 7:07 AM
  • 10 Replies

Free water my ass!!

i both love and hate our well water.

on the plus side, I can water my lawn and garden when I feel like it.  I don't pay a monthly fee.

on the negative side, when we had the house built we had to install $8k worth of filtration equipment to make our free water useable.  The water itself is potable.  If you like to drink chocolate brown, egg smelling, soap won't rinse water.

then 2 years ago...we had to install another $5k in equipment because the water changed.

and today....I'm waiting on the well guy.  The water has a funny odor.   Grrrrrr.  Wondering how much this is going to cost.

by on Aug. 22, 2013 at 7:07 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
QuiltLover
by Jocelynn on Aug. 22, 2013 at 8:09 AM

My post disappeared....we have had well water for years and no problems. i dont know where you live , but our well at the new property where we built a house was $2100.  I cant imagine paying out of pocket what you have....our well and septic system was all done for us for less than $8000...sorry you are having all of this expense....I would be appalled for sure.

chicken13
by Member on Aug. 22, 2013 at 8:19 AM

It was cheap to install.  And part of the new house construction.  Problem was that it only had to meet potable water standards for NH.  Which includes very little.  The giant filtration system was to make the water usable....I mean seriously...chocolate brown.

chicken13
by Member on Aug. 22, 2013 at 8:20 AM

Good news bad news.

the smell in the downstairs bath isn't a water issue.  It's a plumbing issue.  Supply lines need to be replaced.  But....and there is always a but....there is a pump issue....which he's working on now.

i can feel my emergency stash draining.....can you?

QuiltLover
by Jocelynn on Aug. 22, 2013 at 9:19 AM

Oh, my, goodness....sending a prayer for you....ouch is coming...........

baconbits
by Bronze Member on Aug. 23, 2013 at 4:41 PM

Try shocking your well on a regular basis. That means pouring a gallon of bleach in it every 6 months. Let it sit overnight and then drain it until the smell is gone. The first few loads of cloths I always wash my whites in.

chicken13
by Member on Aug. 24, 2013 at 8:16 AM

I wouldn't even dare.  We've got all sorts of filtration equipment, a resin column, etc.  I'd be afraid the bleach would ruin the resin....and that was $8k.

Quoting baconbits:

Try shocking your well on a regular basis. That means pouring a gallon of bleach in it every 6 months. Let it sit overnight and then drain it until the smell is gone. The first few loads of cloths I always wash my whites in.

chicken13
by Member on Aug. 24, 2013 at 8:19 AM

The smell is gone.  Dh is still going to inspect the supply lines.  (Maybe ill clean them with bleach like a pp suggested).

the well reservoir diaphragm is going.  He said maybe 6 months.  It'll be $1100 to replace. Next paycheck I'll have $450 towards it.....just hoping I can save up the rest before it goes.

gmadiane
by on Aug. 24, 2013 at 1:03 PM

we have well water, I am not a fan

chicken13
by Member on Aug. 24, 2013 at 4:44 PM

Right!  

I had no clue.  Not that we had a choice.  We are lucky there is town power.  No natural gas, no cable, no sewer and no water.

Quoting gmadiane:

we have well water, I am not a fan

baconbits
by Bronze Member on Aug. 26, 2013 at 11:47 AM

Just a thought. It's what we had been told to do with ours and we've had no troubles. Just do whatever they suggest you do to keep it all working.

Quoting chicken13:

I wouldn't even dare.  We've got all sorts of filtration equipment, a resin column, etc.  I'd be afraid the bleach would ruin the resin....and that was $8k.

Quoting baconbits:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement