Welcome to the Club

Getting New Moms Adjusted to Mommyhood One Step at a Time

Group Home

Do Your Children Have Cellphones?

Posted by on Sep. 18, 2013 at 6:17 PM
  • 24 Replies

Do your children have cellphones? My daughter is 12 soon to be 13. She wants a cellphone. Most all her friends have phones. One of her friends moms told her she needed a phone in case of an emergency. I'm a divorced single mom and it's hard for me to even pay my own cellphone bill. I know buying her a phone would put me in a worse bind.  I have Verizon and my bill is $60+plus a month. I have thought of switching to Straighttalk to save a few a bucks. How should I buy a cellphone for my daughter? What kind or brand? I do not want a contract. Any help is helpful. Thanks!

by on Sep. 18, 2013 at 6:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
QuiltLover
by Jocelynn on Sep. 18, 2013 at 6:21 PM
1 mom liked this

When my kids were home, there werent cell phones, but IF they were still home...I would not get them one.

michiganmom116
by Gold Member on Sep. 18, 2013 at 6:53 PM
2 moms liked this

My teens have Tracfones.  My 16 yr old worked to earn money to buy his own, then bought a 2nd one and gave the 1st one to 13 yr old DD.  They both do odd jobs to buy their own minutes.

rmp
by Member on Sep. 18, 2013 at 9:13 PM
1 mom liked this

No my kids do not get cell phones until they are 16 and have a stable job for at least 3 months because they will have to pay it. . I did not have one growing up and I did not die. I never buy my kids what other kids have. I do not teach them that way. 

robin7771
Today at 11:16 AM
by on Sep. 19, 2013 at 8:23 AM
1 mom liked this

They all got cell phones when they got a job and could pay for them.

chrissydan
by Member on Sep. 19, 2013 at 9:41 AM
1 mom liked this
Exactly what everyone said no phone tell they can pay for it
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
baconbits
by Bronze Member on Sep. 19, 2013 at 11:07 AM

Mine are young yet  (5, 6 & 7) and even they are asking for cell phones. I told them they could forget it. When they turn 13ish they may be on our family plan which is Consumer Cellular. No text, no internet, etc. It's a phone! They will be aloted so many of the minutes and that's it. If they go over then the phone is gone.

We currently pay $70 per month for 3,000 minutes and 2 phones share the minutes. You can adjust the plan as you want. If you need less minutes it costs less if you need more you pay more. You can change it at anytime during the month so you don't go over your minutes and pay a huge sum. They do have texting/internet available but I'm one of those people who actually likes to TALK to people. There's also no contract so we could drop it any time. Since we don't text, internet, etc the phones don't cost much. Mine was $49 and has lasted 2 years and going strong. My dh is a little hard on his plus he has a hard time seeing /using those tiny phones so he has what is called a senior phone which costs $69. You can also use other phones if they are compatable.

aneela
by Bronze Member on Sep. 19, 2013 at 2:21 PM

no

jahsmom808
by New Member on Sep. 21, 2013 at 12:05 PM

Yes, I have an 11 year old girl that started a private school far from where we live and work, she has a pay as you go phone and I put $25.00 a month for her minutes.  Se calls me when she needs be, no contracts to worry about and not too costly. 

jes_eli_0710
by New Member on Oct. 4, 2013 at 11:05 PM

Yes my daughter has one, she is 6 but she only uses it for calling family in case of an emergency or when she is out with her dad or dads family and isnt able to use the phone right away. Plus I can call her and speak drectly to her instead of having to call dads phone or any other relative of hers. I dont really get along with them much.

MissyB1011
by Member on Oct. 7, 2013 at 5:13 PM
My DD is 10 and she has one. She is a $10 add a line to my family plan. She shares in the bucket of minutes and text messages. Our plan is unlimited text messages.

She got it over the summer. It allowed me to keep tabs on her when she played at the neighbors' homes.

Now that school is in, she uses it more since I went back to work. She is at home 30 min in the am and about 45 min in the pm by herself. She texts me when she leaves to catch the bus and gets home. It's more for my piece of mind.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement