Welcome to the Club

Getting New Moms Adjusted to Mommyhood One Step at a Time

Group Home

Do your children have cellphones? My daughter is 12 soon to be 13. She wants a cellphone. Most all her friends have phones. One of her friends moms told her she needed a phone in case of an emergency. I'm a divorced single mom and it's hard for me to even pay my own cellphone bill. I know buying her a phone would put me in a worse bind.  I have Verizon and my bill is $60+plus a month. I have thought of switching to Straighttalk to save a few a bucks. How should I buy a cellphone for my daughter? What kind or brand? I do not want a contract. Any help is helpful. Thanks!

by on Sep. 18, 2013 at 6:17 PM
Replies (21-24):
larissa5512
by on Nov. 1, 2013 at 8:33 AM
No way! Not till they get a job to pay the bill. Not ever making that mistake!!!
Debmomto2girls
by on Nov. 2, 2013 at 7:07 PM

Yes, my 12 and 15 year old dd's have cellphones.  They have iphones but only because my dh's company gives a a good family plan.

THey would still have cell phones though without that plan.  My neighbor does a prepaid cell phone to keep the cost down.

I didn't have a cell phone growing up but my grandmother didn't have electricity. It didn't kill either of us but it's nice to have.  Both my girls do a lot of afterschool activties and I work.  I feel safer.

Debmomto2girls
by on Nov. 2, 2013 at 7:09 PM

I agree. I never understood the "I didn't have it and lived" mentality.  It is a different world than when I was younger. My girls are responsible and get good grades.  As long as that continues, they will have the iphones.

Quoting fatcat0908:

I'm the odd man out here. Both my 9 and 10 year old daughters have iPhones. They are on our family plan. They pool minutes and data with us. They have to use the wifi when home and only the 4G when out if absolutely necessary. They also ask for iTunes gift cards for their birthdays etc, that's the only way they are allowed to purchase music and apps.

With three children all very busy socially and in extracurriculars it is next to impossible to for me to be at every practice, birthday party, or other event that they are attending. They also really love to be able tofacetime their friends and out of state cousins.

Obviously my children can't pay for their plans, but they do have to maintain their straight A report cards and do their chores hassle free to be allowed the privlidge. They are also the first thing to go whenever I do need a punishment.

jenny3344
by on Nov. 3, 2013 at 11:03 AM
My 9 and 13 year olds both have phones through Verizon and I am paying a small fortune for our phones. My kids are very active, therefore I need to keep in constant contact with them. It gives me peace of mind to be able to call or text them any time. Its very convenient for them to have phones. I wouldn't have it any other way....if you already have Verizon its only $15/month for an extra line.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN