Welcome to the Club

Getting New Moms Adjusted to Mommyhood One Step at a Time

Group Home

Thrift Shopping and Free Clothing

Posted by on Sep. 23, 2013 at 2:27 PM
  • 17 Replies

I have 5 children 3 step kids, 1 previous marriage and 1 mutual....Ages 10,8, 7, 5 (all boys) and a 9month old Baby Girl, I have been doing Freecycle and thrift shopping for their clothes and have done really well! But for my baby girl she weres 18months and I have not been able to get pretty much anything for her including shoes. Any Ideas? Winter is coming and she doesnt have a jacket either.

by on Sep. 23, 2013 at 2:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
rmp
by Member on Sep. 23, 2013 at 6:49 PM

Call your local churches and ask them if they are going to have a -MOPS --(mother of preschoolers) sale. Most churches have them once a year. 

Momma_1985
by Member on Sep. 23, 2013 at 11:22 PM
I'm going to ask around...thank you

Quoting rmp:

Call your local churches and ask them if they are going to have a -MOPS --(mother of preschoolers) sale. Most churches have them once a year. 

eevers55
by Member on Sep. 24, 2013 at 9:59 AM

Our local food pantry has a clothing closet that I used to get baby clothes from after my daughter was born. It was SUPER helpful. Ask your local food pantry office. I also found that out from my local WIC office and WIC even delivered a small aundry basket full of baby clothes that I then donated to the clothing closet when I was finished with them. So maybe ask your local WIC office for any ideas of cheap or free places.

Momma_1985
by Member on Sep. 24, 2013 at 10:45 AM

Quoting eevers55:

Our local food pantry has a clothing closet that I used to get baby clothes from after my daughter was born. It was SUPER helpful. Ask your local food pantry office. I also found that out from my local WIC office and WIC even delivered a small aundry basket full of baby clothes that I then donated to the clothing closet when I was finished with them. So maybe ask your local WIC office for any ideas of cheap or free places.

Thank you! I am going to have to try that! That was nice what they did though!
baconbits
by Bronze Member on Sep. 24, 2013 at 4:05 PM
1 mom liked this

There is also (or was) a group on cafemom that would help each other out with things like this. It used to be called Angels or Elfs or something like that. I do think it's still around. I'll see what I can find out.

baconbits
by Bronze Member on Sep. 24, 2013 at 4:07 PM

I'm pretty sure this is the group I was thinking of...

http://www.cafemom.com/group/111548/?ct=search_group

nope it's this one.

http://www.cafemom.com/group/108910/?ct=search_group

Freyjasdottir
by on Sep. 25, 2013 at 9:37 AM
1 mom liked this

I get things for my 2 yr DD at goodwill, the local food pantry, once upon a child and I'm trying to connect with local moms to start a clothing swap and play dates for the kids.

Mom2Boys9501
by Member on Oct. 3, 2013 at 11:34 PM

See if any churches in your area have a free clothing closet.

eevers55
by Member on Oct. 4, 2013 at 2:45 PM

Freecycle.org too!
I post my daughter's old clothes on there all the time. You are also allowed to post one "wanted" a month (as long as you just put the basics and no begging or back story)
So post a wanted for winter clothes and surf through your local freecycle. People are always posting kids clothes. Craigslist free section too. The only downside is that you have to check pretty regularly to catch good stuff.

Momma_1985
by Member on Oct. 4, 2013 at 2:49 PM

I have tried that and have gotten stuff for my boys but haven't seen or been able to get any clothes for her...I started getting for 3t-4t 

Quoting eevers55:

Freecycle.org too!
I post my daughter's old clothes on there all the time. You are also allowed to post one "wanted" a month (as long as you just put the basics and no begging or back story)
So post a wanted for winter clothes and surf through your local freecycle. People are always posting kids clothes. Craigslist free section too. The only downside is that you have to check pretty regularly to catch good stuff.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement