Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Family Piggy Bank The Family Piggy Bank

Beware of Orbitz: Refusal to Refund $$$ On Hotel Cancellation

Posted by on Dec. 12, 2013 at 9:41 AM
  • 2 Replies

UPDATE TO THIS POST:

ORBITZ HAS REFUNDED MY MONEY.  They called me on my cell phone and said although it was policy not to refund, they would do so. I will see it reflected on my bank balance in about 5 business days.

Single moms should appreciate this dilemma:

I had planned a road trip with my child to Chicago this weekend for the premiere of "The Hobbit." We'd planned on staying at a Hampton Inn next to the theater and meeting up with two of my good friends. It was going to be a special Christmas holiday weekend activity.

Except the Weather Channel posted that a snowstorm is hitting on Saturday. It'll blow straight through my route back home.

I'd made the hotel reservations through Orbitz. When I went online to cancel the hotel, I was met with a message that it was non-refundable and that I'd agreed to that when I made the reservation.

I then got on the phone ... was placed on hold by a guy in India for 20 minutes and the call was dropped. Called back, got another person in India ... was placed on hold 20 minutes ... talked to a customer service guy in India who said he couldn't refund it .... I said, "Oh yes you can. I want a supervisor ...." placed on hold .... Supervisor came on very faint with a lot of static and crackle. Told me (from what I could hear) that they would give me a full refund. The problem is that I kept saying I couldn't hear her, and I repeated, "So you're giving me a full refund," and she said yes.

I just received the email from Orbitz. They are only refunding $2.56 of the $100 charge. Grant it, I missed it. But I have never in my life had anyone say they would not refund something when a service had not even been rendered. It's not as if I'm cancelling on a whim. This is a SNOWSTORM, for God's sake.

At the bottom of the email in fine print:

Hotel policies:

Avoid unexpected charges by reviewing these policies carefully.

Cancellation:

• This reservation is non-refundable. Cancellations or changes made at any time are subject to a 100% charge.

by on Dec. 12, 2013 at 9:41 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
RonaH
by Member on Dec. 12, 2013 at 11:23 AM
1 mom liked this

wow! I will make sure not to use them. 100% charge is insane.

austenheroine
by New Member on Dec. 12, 2013 at 4:16 PM
1 mom liked this

UPDATE TO THIS POST:

ORBITZ HAS REFUNDED MY MONEY.  They called me on my cell phone and said although it was policy not to refund, they would do so. I will see it reflected on my bank balance in about 5 business days.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)