Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Family Piggy Bank The Family Piggy Bank
Will you be doing it this year?

Have you done it in the past how did it go?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Dec. 20, 2013 at 6:34 AM
Replies (11-18):
ivf_blessed
by Bronze Member on Jan. 25, 2014 at 8:12 PM
1 mom liked this

I did it last year.  This year, I'm saving but not using the challenge.

My kids also did it last year but they saved 10 cents per week instead of $1.  They are doing the same this year.

Here's the chart if you need it:

Good luck!

sugapie0305
by Member on Jan. 27, 2014 at 12:53 PM

I've decided that I'm going to just save what I can and not go by the chart, since my main money maker WAH gig ended at the end of last month. Whatever I make with my other part time gigs and other side money makers will determine how much I can put into savings.

Quoting ivf_blessed:

I did it last year.  This year, I'm saving but not using the challenge.

My kids also did it last year but they saved 10 cents per week instead of $1.  They are doing the same this year.

Here's the chart if you need it:

Good luck!

AiLi
by Member on Feb. 6, 2014 at 12:54 PM

I am partially doing it this year.   The big money amounts aren't as easy to put aside but I am adding in extra when I can.  I am also not saving literally every week because quite frankly, paydays are biweekly.  I am putting any unexpected money into savings though such as a bonus, 1/3 of any overtime, any income from random tiny online things, or selling things.  Any personally made money such as helping people with budgeting and savings plans etc. will also go into the "That's not usable money" fund and of course saving up change.

Weeks Amount
4            10.00
8            26.00
12            42.00
16            58.00
20            74.00
24            90.00
28          106.00
32          122.00
36          138.00
40          154.00
44          170.00
48          186.00
52          202.00

That is what I am using for the 52 week challenge up until probably Week 40 if I can pull that off.  That is how much you need each month to meet the weekly challenges for that month.  For example, I put aside $40 in month one which covered the first two months of the savings challenge and then $50 in month two which covers partially into month four.  

I saw someone post a quarter method on here as well that I am going to try just to save up extra. 

oddfox
by Member on Feb. 8, 2014 at 9:02 AM

We have categories in our budget and saving is one of them. Same "boring" amount every paycheck. :-D

Larisa72
by Member on Mar. 27, 2014 at 9:27 AM

Started it again this year...doing $53 every 2 weeks (pay cycle) so that we had money set aside if something came up....have over $200 set aside right now because I put $100 down towards my son attending summer camp this year (not a NEEDED expense, but a HUGE event for him since he'll be 14 next month, has Asperger's, and feels he has reached the point where he can handle being at camp all day - IF his doctor says he can do it).....have also paid for both children to attend a day camp at the community college...now, I know that these aren't *NEEDS* in most families, but we have been trying since my oldest was still in elementary school to be able to do this for them, and this year we had the money set aside, so we did it.

However, in the past few weeks, things have gone south...need new tires for my Jeep (roughly $600), credit card has been getting used WAY too much (over $1000 on it - most will be paid off at the end of the month, but my comfort level is no more than $600 on it - paid off every paycheck), the girl just moved from braces to retainer, the boy will be having his wisdom teeth out.....and there are other medical bills that need to be addressed in addition to the regular monthly bills.....at this point, I'm trying not to get bummed and forcing myself to crank out some more sewn items because I want to re-open my Etsy shop by the end of summer with my new items so that, maybe, I can start contributing a little more to the family finances (whenever there's a decent amount in PayPal, I transfer the funds to our joint savings account....and usually end up forgetting about it until I go to balance the checkbook and statements...lol).....

Children haven't gotten on board yet, but they do have 3 banks - give, save, spend....and every time they receive allowance, they divide money into those banks and then I take their save amounts and put them in their actual bank accounts....

chicken13
by Member on Mar. 29, 2014 at 9:13 AM

I'm a little behind.  I'm doing it backwards.  And I fund it completely from Craigslist, eBay and rebates.  

Larisa72
by Member on Mar. 31, 2014 at 9:38 PM

well....now we need to get the stove fixed.....things just keep piling up...gah.....we'll figure a way out of this....

ShandellsBaby
by Member on May. 10, 2014 at 2:54 PM

I need to start this but keep forgetting about it. I need to get better with a budget

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)