Welcome to the Club

Getting New Moms Adjusted to Mommyhood One Step at a Time

Group Home

New to group and have a question....

Posted by on Dec. 27, 2013 at 10:11 PM
  • 4 Replies

I'm a stay at home mom of 2 girls (3 and 1) and my fiance this past year started working outside the home as a septic technician after being unemployed and working several odd-jobs + part time jobs and his new job is paid on commission only. He gets paid weekly and his pay consists of 6% of the earnings that he and his driver (immediate supervisor basically) bring in as far as sales. (So if they do work on a customer's home and the customer is charged $5,000 he would get 6% of that) Some weeks he has gotten paid over $1,000 and some only $100 due to the nature of the business to fluctuate. My question is: does anyone have experience with an income that fluctuates and is based solely on commission? If so, how do you save money? How do you save money on food, groceries and necessities and still be/eat healthy? 

*{I don't have a deep freeze but I've been contemplating getting one if I can find a used one cheap. I don't have space for a garden/greenhouse in my current living arrangement.}*

Any advice would be appreciated and just note that I'm tired and I realize that this may not make complete sense so just call me on it if need be. LOL 

by on Dec. 27, 2013 at 10:11 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
RonaH
by Member on Dec. 27, 2013 at 10:46 PM

Well what I would do is when you get big checks buy gift-cards to say Walmart or wherever you shop for food and stash them in case you run into a hard week.  Then take what you can spare after you pay bills and needs and do a separate savings account. You need to build a savings cushion that helps you during the lean weeks. Maybe you can sacrifice for a month or two to build the cushion. 

Then stock up on sales of non perishable things like pasta, pasta sauce and things that can get you by in a bind so you will never be running on E in your pantry. A deep freeze would be a great idea you can do frozen veggies as well.

PB0824
by Member on Dec. 28, 2013 at 8:07 PM

Hello!   For regular bills I have a bill organizer (wood thing with dividers).  I figure out what is due when and I have 4 slots.   The first slot I put what I have to pay on the first week of month, second I put bills due around second week, third week I put bills due around the third week, fourth week I put bills due around fourth week of the month.  I put the bill and envelope in the proper slot.  You will pay all of the weekly bills with what commission your fiance makes.  If/when you have money left over, I suggest putting the extra cash in the envelope system I will describe below.  Do not take money from this to go shopping for unnecessary stuff.  This is for bills to be paid when there is a week with low pay.

Envelope budgeting system

Get 10 new white small or large size regular envelopes.  Cut off the flaps so you can just put money inside each one.  Label each envelope at the top:  (these are my categories):

Groceries, Gas for car(s), Doctor co-pays, Lunch $ (for the working person), Dental $ (we have no insurance), Babysitter $, Fun $ (for going to movies, bowling, or doing a fun family activity), XMas Fund, Vacation Fund, $ to pay bills (for times when his pay is low).  I have a budget of $100 a week for groceries, so I put that money in Groceries envelope when my hubby gets paid.  You put money in this envelope every week for some categories, other categories will be if you have the money.  I would put money in the $ to pay bills envelope before the more extravagant envelopes (vacation, etc.).   I put in $40 a week for gas for my car.  If you have money left in your envelopes you can leave it there and use it for next week.  Any extra I would put in $ to pay bills.  If you get in excess of $1,000 in that envelope, open a savings account for using the money to pay bills in case of a low pay week.

I swear this works, it keeps me on track each week.  I do not stray from this system.  I have to stay on budget.  We are able to take a 1 week vacation every year and save money for xmas and everything.  Something my hubby does which I suggested to him is when he cashes each check, put $50 each week in a bank account for a xmas club account.  I have sometimes added to his account because I have a part time job, but otherwise have been a stay at home Mom for 12 years.  We make it work.  We even own a house and 3 cars.

chicken13
by Member on Jan. 2, 2014 at 4:29 PM

Dh isn't solely commission.  But it does fluctuate from $0 all the way to SWEET.

I've calculated a bare minimum for our bills, food, gas, etc.  anything extra goes into savings for those $0 weeks.  I also try to keep our minimum under his regular pay...which won't work if your dh is solely commission...but it keeps us from relying on pay that MIGHT not show up.

baconbits
by Bronze Member on Jan. 3, 2014 at 10:57 AM

You're going to have to learn to save during those times of feast. It's hard at first because you see all this lovely money just begging to be spent. Instead pay your bills and put the rest back into a savings account. Then remove only what you have to in order to pay bills during the lean times. Once you have built up a cushion of a couple thousand I'd start paying so much a month extra on bills and try to pay things off but keep that cushion. If it starts to go down you put it back before you pay extra on a bill.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN