Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Family Piggy Bank The Family Piggy Bank

need ways to earn extra money

Posted by on Jan. 13, 2014 at 7:15 PM
  • 16 Replies
My husband only brings in $2000 per month. I bring in 500 for child support. Dh dad gives us $725 for our rent just so we can pay the bills. How can I help support our family more? We have 3 kids and I'm pregnant with a 4 so babysitting is out (because lets face it who wants a babysitter who already has 4 kids ranging from newborn to 8 years old) I can't start my own daycare as I live in a tri-plex. Dh does work nights so I could potentially get a day job but of dh gets up before noon he's an ass. That means I either need childcare for 4 kids or a job that is only m-f 12:30-5
by on Jan. 13, 2014 at 7:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
clairewait
by Member on Jan. 13, 2014 at 9:03 PM

If you spend a lot of time on CafeMom, you might want to check out Postloop.

The average pay is $0.10 per post, but it can be more than that. You cash out through PayPal when your account reaches 100 points which is the same as $5.

Here's how to do it:

1. Follow the link to join.
  2. Sign up under an email address (hint: probably don't use your primary email address).
  3. Make 10 conversation posts in the "Postloop Portal." This is your "application" to be accepted to the main dashboard. You will get paid for these posts, but more importantly, these will be the posts your first "rating" will be based on. The higher your rating (from 1-5), the more points you get per post. You don't have to be obnoxious or wordy. Just make sure you have good grammar (shorthand and emoticons are totally okay), speak English, and sound natural. Cafemom is actually a good practice place. If you are normal here, they will like you there.
  4. Once you've been approved, join different discussion boards from the Dashboard page, and start earning points by posting. Most discussion boards allow up to 5 posts per day. Some allow for more. The more discussion boards you join, the more points you can earn in a day.
  5. Cash out via paypal when you reach 100 points.

If you are killing time anyway, you might as well get paid to do it. Feel free to PM me with any specific questions.

Claire Wait

My blog: TheUnderToad.com

TJandKarasMom
by Member on Jan. 13, 2014 at 10:47 PM
I would look into a pt job in the afternoons.

I work pt, but I have an education and experience, I make $17.50/hr and work about 20 hrs per week (my typical schedule is M/Th 12-6, T/F 3-6 and sometimes Saturdays 8-2ish-if I work Saturday I get Tuesday or Friday off usually). This definitely helps pay the bills. I think even making $10/hr for 25 hours a week (M-F 5 hrs a day) would give you and extra $800ish/month.

As much as I have always wanted to be a SAHM, we don't have that option. No one is willing to give us rent money, lol...you are very lucky to have that help from family. We live with my mil so she has definitely helped, but we pay half the bills, so it's not cheap really...but definitely cheaper than renting a house this big. My DH makes about as much as yours does, and then we bring in close to what you do for child support as well (we each have a child we have full custody of, I get $260/mo, DH gets $216/mo). It seems we have very similar income and probably bills as well. And without my income things would be incredibly tight. That extra couple hundred a week really makes a difference.

Good luck, I know how tough it is!
baconbits
by Bronze Member on Jan. 14, 2014 at 2:13 PM
1 mom liked this

Wow! The cost of living where you are must be outrageous. I bring in $1300/month and support on our gk's is $600. DH only works part time and it's either feast or famine with him so I never count on his income. There's 5 of us total.

As far as bringing in extra money Ebay has been great for me. My oldest dd does etsey. My dh buys old lawn mowers, tractors, etc repairs them and resells them. The money we make on this goes toward paying down debt and not toward the regular monthly bill. That comes out of my paycheck.

For me however it's not about bringing in more money it's about making do with what I have and cutting back. If I save $50/month by not having cable that's forever $50 saved. If I work to pay a $50/month cable bill that's forever a debt I'll owe. So I have either a $600 savings or a $600 debt every year just by the choice I make.

I keep an eye on my insurance, cell phone bill (it's flexible), heating (flexible), etc and try to bring them down. Most people think heating, electric, etc aren't flexible but they are. If you set your heat at 70 it will cost more then if you set it at 68.  Turning lights off not in use, only dry clothes the minimum needed, etc saves $. Your cell phone can be just a cell phone and not a mini computer. Watch your insurance and if the value drops so low then drop full coverage.

Kainalu55
by Bronze Member on Jan. 14, 2014 at 4:18 PM

Are there any bills you can cut out?  Cable, cellphones, landline, etc?  That would be the first thing I'd do, cut out unnecessary expenses.

Do you have anything to sell?  I've made some money selling things we no longer needed on Craigslist.  Are you crafty?  Make and sell on Etsy or set up an Instagram account for your product.  That way you can make some extra money while working from home.  Here's an idea for a simple product you could make from home, and because the materials are so inexpensive, you could make a good profit! http://livinthemommylife.com/2014/01/diy-flower-headband-tutorial.html

For a job, maybe you could do afterschool care at the school? Housecleaning for someone?  Not sure what else you can get with those hours.

Good Luck!!

hobbit1123
by Member on Jan. 15, 2014 at 10:35 AM

have you thought about working from home? Mturk is kind of like data entry you get paid p/task but the money can add up. If you go to www.wahm.com and look at the message boards do a search for Lionbridge and they also list a bunch of other work at home jobs you can do

avonkelly
by on Jan. 15, 2014 at 1:37 PM

I started sharing AVON with my family and friends. I make an extra $300 to $500 a month doing this. It only costs $10 to begin. Click here if you'd like more information. Good luck!

incomechanges
by New Member on Jan. 16, 2014 at 5:45 PM

I work from home. I help others shop and travel and earn income doing so. if Your interested in learning more info and details I can send it to you. I'm also able to save money, earn, and eliminate some debt doing so which helps my family out a lot because every penny counts.

rmp
by Member on Jan. 17, 2014 at 3:22 PM

Look around your home and anything that your kids have outgrown or extra stuff in the garage is all money. You can post it on craigslist. One persons trash is another persons treasure. You would be amazed what you can sell and get money for gas, or groceries. 

TexasMom-X2
by New Member on Jan. 20, 2014 at 1:23 PM

I am an Advocare advisor and I make between $1000-1200 per month.  I am currently on tract to be making $2000-3000 per month within the next 6 months.  You can check out http://www.workwithchampions.com/ for more on working with Advocare.  If it's something for you, message me.

energygirl
by on Feb. 17, 2014 at 9:34 AM

I am postal scanner (they send you a scanner, and have you scan in your mail each day... then you get points for doing it, which you can cash in for gift cards.)  The only requirement is that you do not tell your postal carrier you are doing it, because they are trying to track how fast mail travels.  They also mail you "test mail"... which is just letters from different states, and inside is an id number you scan in.  I have been doing it for about 6 months, and about to get a $50 gift card to TJ MAXX.  You earn 5-8 points a month (not much) but it literally takes me 10 seconds to log in and scan... so it's easy and my kids enjoy scanning. There is no referrel stuff (so you don't make money if others sign up or anything) but since we live on a pretty tight budget, it is a way for me to earn gift cards to spend how I want without affecting our budget.  Here is the website, you can click the "join our team" to see if they need more scanners in your area.  I found out about it from a mailing I got... and have been doing it ever since. http://www.reportez.com/

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)