Welcome to the Club

Getting New Moms Adjusted to Mommyhood One Step at a Time

Group Home

A use for everything

Posted by on Jan. 17, 2014 at 3:28 PM
  • 6 Replies

Recycling. Here's what I reuse; what do you reuse?

Boxes (cereal, soda, etc) get turned into craft surfaces (painting canvases, as something to paint on so nothing gets on the table (I don't buy newspapers), turned into stencils, etc

The cereal sacks get turned into wax paper.

Plastic sacks become garbage bags, kitty liners, lunch sacks for hubby, etc

Twist ties get saved.

Tortilla and bread sacks get re-used for salads and sandwich bags.

I recycle leftover aluminum foil along with my cans. I also recycle tin cans.

That's pretty much all I can think of now.

by on Jan. 17, 2014 at 3:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
baconbits
by Bronze Member on Jan. 17, 2014 at 4:35 PM

Dryer sheets always get a second use. I recycle my cans for cash. Ashes from the woodburner go on the garden and used to fill holes in the yard. Manure goes on the garden as fertilizer (or is that TMI it is recycling LOL)

Socks with holes are either fixed or are used as dust clothes. Buttons are taken off of stained shirts to be reused and then they are used as rags.

AllofFive19
by Bronze Member on Jan. 17, 2014 at 8:47 PM

Nope, that's not TMI. That's another thing I do, reuse socks/crappy clothes as rags.

Quoting baconbits:

Dryer sheets always get a second use. I recycle my cans for cash. Ashes from the woodburner go on the garden and used to fill holes in the yard. Manure goes on the garden as fertilizer (or is that TMI it is recycling LOL)

Socks with holes are either fixed or are used as dust clothes. Buttons are taken off of stained shirts to be reused and then they are used as rags.

Larisa72
by Member on Jan. 18, 2014 at 9:44 PM

hmmm, I used to reuse plastic sandwich bags...rinsing/washing them out.....but we don't use them so much anymore, so a box lasts quite a while.....we do reuse ratted out clothing for cleaning rags and such....just ripped up an old towel into 4 largish rags for cleaning....have turned bad tshirts into braided dog toys and such.....need to think on this a bit.....

elizabooks
by Member on Jan. 19, 2014 at 5:24 PM

Dice the peels of veggies to be placed inthe mulch pit.  Cooffee grinds and egg shells to help the potted plants,... I "recycle" the water used to boil pasta or veggies as a soup stock.

Plastic bags (grocery, bread, or cereal) are used for trash cans or litter.  Dryer lint is used while camping for fire starters.

chicken13
by Member on Jan. 19, 2014 at 5:58 PM

I compost to use in my garden and flower beds....so pretty much anything that'll rot gets stuffed in there...

i reuse paper bags, shredded paper and wood chips (from splitting logs) to make fire starters for our wood stove.  Pet hair and dryer lint work great too.

oddfox
by Member on Jan. 22, 2014 at 1:55 PM

Aluminum foil if it didn't touch meat is wiped down and reused

Bread bags used to divide up bulk purchased meat. Twist ties reused.

Ziplock bags washed out and reused.

Aluminum cans redeemed for cash at a local recycler.

Plastic cereal liners cut open and used as microwave spatter guards.

Corragated boxes turned inside out and reglued for reuse.

Ratty t shirts and towels turned into cleaning rags.

Fabric scraps made into quilts.

Gallon plastic milk jugs cut into various configurations. Toilet brush holder. Clothes pin holder. Kids helmet. The flat panels cut into stensils.

Two liter soda bottles cut into bird feeders.

Blank backs of paper used in computer printer for home use.

Complimentary "credit cards" from junk mail cut into guitar picks.

Shredded paper and food scraps put into compost.

Leftover dinner bits put into a freezer container for "shelf soup". Leftover dried bread made into crumbs or chunked and made into strata.

Orange or lemon peels made into candied rinds. Watermelon rind made into pickles. Fruit juices from canned fruit made into jellies.

That's about all I can think of.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN