Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

book reccomdations

Posted by on Mar. 30, 2014 at 8:41 PM
  • 5 Replies
Can you give any book reccomdations that taught you better how to save your money, investing, and debt?

I'm on the right path to what I want but now just like to get additional resources.

Also do you have any money saving tips you would like to share?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 30, 2014 at 8:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
clairewait
by on Mar. 30, 2014 at 10:54 PM
1 mom liked this

I don't have any books to share, but Clark Howard gives GREAT advice. If you can tap into even an hour of his show everyday (might have to find him online) you will glean some great advice. Seriously.

He's been on the money for me for almost everything - and now when my husband and I have a major financial question we frequently turn to his website to see if he agrees with the direction we want to go.

Also, here's my lifetime money approach (and it has been working for a while now):

• Pay God first 
  • Pay yourself second (this means put something into savings right off the top, even if it is 1%)
  • Pay others third
baconbits
by on Mar. 31, 2014 at 12:37 PM

Mary Hunt's Cheapskate books. Lots of budgeting ideas as well as ways to save money that are common sense.

oddfox
by Member on Apr. 1, 2014 at 6:45 PM

These are my favorites, though they are a bit older. Sometimes they show up at yard sales or thrift stores. The Tightwad Gazette.(All kinds of crazy money saving strategies).  The More with Less Cookbook. And anything written by Larry Burkett. (He has budgeting workbooks and such.)  You may want to try getting books through interlibrary loan to see if you like them, then purchase through Amazon.

baconbits
by on Apr. 2, 2014 at 9:36 AM

I love the Tightwad Gazette! It's great!

elizabooks
by Member on Apr. 3, 2014 at 10:17 AM

Buy from second hand book stores!!!!

The only advise I have is:

assume that 10 cents out of every dollar you have is not there. Take that dime and put it in a jar, then in an account and forget about it.

When I say every dollar. I mean even from your wallet, pocket, purse and paychecks.  This will add up over time.

also when you go to the grocery store and use sales and coupons.... put that money aside into a jar or account.  Your budget is $400 a month and the coupons & sales saved you $80.  Do not spend the $80. Put it away.

At the end of the year look at the amount saved use 1/4 to 1/3 of that amount to pay off or pay down a bill. Then continue with taking the 10cents off....at at the 6month mark make it 20cents. 

It seems silly. A dime is really how much? But if you earn $2,000 a paycheck  that is $200.  And being so small an amount (versus saying I'm putting aside $200 a paycheck) it is easy to swallow.

As long as you are making your bills while you are doing this, it does help.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)