Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Family Piggy Bank The Family Piggy Bank

Should I switch from Direct TV to.......??

Posted by on Jun. 6, 2014 at 12:05 PM
  • 10 Replies

Who is your cable carrier?  We're trying to cut cost.  With Direct TV (no movie channels) and our Internet through AT&T Uverse (which is a bundle through Direct TV) we are paying......ready.......$179!!!  Yes, that is not a typo.  The Internet alone is $59!  Help!!!  Who do you recommend?

by on Jun. 6, 2014 at 12:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
hisbabikakes
by on Jun. 6, 2014 at 12:15 PM

were i live i have charter starting at $29.99 (online offer) for 12months but its just for internet & i have a ps3 and added netflix for $9 saves me a lot of money!

michiganmom116
by Gold Member on Jun. 6, 2014 at 12:17 PM

We bundle land line and internet for around $90 (includes taxes & other fees).  We use Netflix, too.

MommyOfOne2710
by Member on Jun. 6, 2014 at 12:26 PM
Don't go to Charter, lol. They lure you in with all these special offers, but at the end of 12 months our bill jumped from $107 to $150. After another 12 months, we're now paying $190. Yeah. It's bundled and this is seriously the cheapest thing they could give us. We will be switching to DirecTV and just getting our Internet from Charter, which is $50 all by itself.

Not to mention Charter customer service is awful. I just can't stand them at all.
baconbits
by Bronze Member on Jun. 6, 2014 at 4:16 PM

Try dropping the cable. We've never had it. Lived with 2 - 3 channels and it's not bad at all. We find more time to spend as a family and get lots more done around the house without it on.

RutterMama
by Member on Jun. 12, 2014 at 4:51 PM

We have Dish Network - LOVE it. No home phone at all. Saves us. :)

Discover how this stay at home mommy of 2 used Facebook to give herself a 
$7,200 annual raise!  ***Contact me today to find out how!***

bjv0402
by New Member on Jun. 20, 2014 at 2:52 AM

If you have a Time Warner around you...DO NOT consider it.  My ex boyfriend lived with me for a year. He had them and when I kicked him out, they had already shut him off for non payment. The bill was in his name. Yes I lived there with him but prior to him, I didnt have cable and still dont. He got it, he paid it up until they shut him off. Well, they somehow got my name and are billing me for HIS bill. I called them, they said it was because I lived with him and still reside at the address, even if he doesnt. So every week or so I will get a bill in MY name for something I didnt order. I've talked to the higher ups there and they still claim i'm responsible. Some of you may bash me and say that I lived with him therefore I'm just as liable. but nope i dont see it that way.

baconbits
by Bronze Member on Jun. 20, 2014 at 10:32 AM

You should not be liable for it. You didn't sign any paperwork and I'd tell them what to do with it and if they continue then they could talk to my attorney.

Quoting bjv0402:

If you have a Time Warner around you...DO NOT consider it.  My ex boyfriend lived with me for a year. He had them and when I kicked him out, they had already shut him off for non payment. The bill was in his name. Yes I lived there with him but prior to him, I didnt have cable and still dont. He got it, he paid it up until they shut him off. Well, they somehow got my name and are billing me for HIS bill. I called them, they said it was because I lived with him and still reside at the address, even if he doesnt. So every week or so I will get a bill in MY name for something I didnt order. I've talked to the higher ups there and they still claim i'm responsible. Some of you may bash me and say that I lived with him therefore I'm just as liable. but nope i dont see it that way.

clairewait
by Member on Jun. 27, 2014 at 10:38 PM

Quoting baconbits:

Try dropping the cable. We've never had it. Lived with 2 - 3 channels and it's not bad at all. We find more time to spend as a family and get lots more done around the house without it on.

This is us. We've never had cable. We get all the basic local channels with an antenna and we do Netflix. And we share HBO Go and ESPN online with other members of my family.

To me, a cable bill is one of the biggest wastes of money. If you aren't in the habit it isn't something you miss much.

Mom2Boys9501
by Member on Jul. 24, 2014 at 6:33 PM
We have Hulu and Netflix and will never get cable again.
DameDeLaMer
by New Member on Jul. 26, 2014 at 1:15 PM

We have direct tv and love it. Our monthly bill is 158. My DH needs to call and cancel the HBO ($20) and reduce our ins we have and that will save us about 40 dollars. I would consider getting Netflix or something but we have an old dumb tv and don't think it would work. We also have no gaming systems. Our internet is 40 dollars and then we each have cell phones. I also think we are still under contract with Direct TV.  So for me, just paying the bill is cheaper then cancellation costs. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)