Welcome to the Club

Getting New Moms Adjusted to Mommyhood One Step at a Time

Group Home

The More You Plan Ahead, The More You Can Save

Posted by on Sep. 1, 2014 at 12:00 AM
  • 55 Replies
1 mom liked this

Although I fully believe that life is best lived in the moment, when it comes to your finances, the opposite is true. You've probably heard many times that the earlier you start saving for your retirement, or for your kids' college, the better off you will all be. If we apply this thinking to other things in our lives, it works too. Here are some great ways to do this on a smaller, regular scale, that will help you save tons of money just by taking the time to plan ahead.

1) Clothes: Kids grow and grow, for years. Even if you have just one kid, as I do, and even if you get and use lots of hand-me-downs, as I do, you will spend a boat-load of money on clothing for your kid before they even turn 5 or 10-years-old. So how can planning ahead help you save some of this money for college, or a for a great family vacation? Each 4th of July or Labor, for instance, when you hit the sales racks, don't just look at back-to-school clothes for that fall. Grab a bunch of great deals for next summer. I've done that since I was pregnant, and each year, I've been able to  buy an entire summer and spring wardrobe for my growing kid for the FOLLOWING year very economically. (At big sales events, items can be as low as $2.99, even at The Gap!)

2) Travel: Plan trips way ahead, and consider bringing along other families for extra fun, and extra savings. The larger a house you rent, and the larger a group you have, the less you pay per bedroom. By renting a home instead of staying in hotels you also get to enjoy a lot more privacy, and more space, and save a ton on food since you can cook what you want, when you want it, without having to go to restaurants for every meal. And, if you have any free miles to use, planning ahead is the best way to use those free flights to go where you really want to go, when you want to go.

3) Take advantage of ALL sales: This might mean buying things ahead of time, even if you have not run out of something, and even if you're already at a discount store. A lot of people figure that when they are buying bulk, they are already getting the best deal. But if you keep an eye out for when your most-used household items are on sale, in the bulk isle, that's when you'll really start to see the savings add up for you.

How does planning ahead help you save?

© iStockphoto.com/alexsl

by on Sep. 1, 2014 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
melindabelcher
by on Sep. 1, 2014 at 6:58 AM
2 moms liked this

Yes! 

We have 3 soon to be 4 kiddos. We utilize hand me downs and second hand stores.

I can get great clothes for a dollar. And i love fill a bag sales! I rarely ever buy clothes new. 

When we travel we usually go to see family so all we have to do is bring up some food and pay for our gas. 

Food we budget and shop sales as much as possible. We have utilized coupons in the past but right now it's to time consuming. 

louannwilkins
by Member on Sep. 1, 2014 at 9:20 AM
1 mom liked this

These are all great tips.  When I had kids at home I always shopped for the biggest part of their clothes at the end of each season.  Buy bigger sizes and put them up to wear the next year. It saves a lot of money for sure.

Apr1l
by on Sep. 1, 2014 at 9:32 AM
I go to thrift shops and find a lot of unused kids clothes there. Buy stuff in the off season or the end of the season.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
goddess99
by on Sep. 1, 2014 at 10:20 AM
1 mom liked this

Good tips, we meal plan and buy bulk, shop every 2-3 weeks instead of weekly, that helps too.

Jukebox_Jenny
by on Sep. 1, 2014 at 10:47 AM
For sure with the kids clothes. I worked in an upscale resale store for kids clothes and when she shut the store down I stocked up on basics for my kids for many years to come. I also shop sales on out of season clothes for the following year.
lizzig
by on Sep. 1, 2014 at 11:55 AM
1 mom liked this

when the kids were younger i'd buy seasons ahead when i found great deals on clearance.  my kids don't grow fast so i never had to worry about them not being able to fit into the clothes when it was time for them to wear them. 

we don't travel much but i have siblings that due the house rental thing to save money on their trips.

Kmakksmom
by on Sep. 1, 2014 at 12:47 PM
We have 5 almost 6 kids. We have to plan pretty much everything all the time.
Leelee1008
by Bronze Member on Sep. 1, 2014 at 1:09 PM
1 mom liked this

I love to shop sales, and I do pick things up a few seasons in advance in a size or two bigger.

johnny4ever
by on Sep. 1, 2014 at 2:04 PM
1 mom liked this

We have a budget for everything it seems.

LaniBee
by on Sep. 1, 2014 at 2:06 PM
1 mom liked this

We plan ahead and budget for most things. I make a weekly menu, use coupons and shop sales.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement