Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Hit Pause and Start Saving!

Posted by on Oct. 15, 2014 at 12:02 AM
  • 56 Replies

Moms shop pretty much everyday, for one thing or another. Often, we're rushed. A last minute gift; something for school; food; toothpaste. And, while we're at it, breezing through so many isles, packed with STUFF, every day, it's almost impossible it seems to NOT grab a few extra items along the way. You've got the basket, or the whole cart; you always need things in your family; you're already at the store. You see sale signs. You see a new item you think someone might love or could use. You're hungry and there's food all around, even though you just stopped for toilet paper and trash bags. So, you grab some extra things. It's only natural, right?

But then you get to the register, and the cashier adds up your bill, and here's the issue: Suddenly, you've just spent two, three, maybe even five or ten times what you planned to spend on those few items you came to buy. The reason you came to the store in the first place! This is a big dilemma. On one hand, moms need to be thinking ahead, and planning. Shopping for things on sale. Being "smart" about spending. But in our rush, and in our eagerness to think ahead, take advantage of sales, multi-task, and always provide for our families as best we can, we often grab and buy too much that we don't really need.

Believe it or not, stopping before you check-out, and going through your cart thoroughly, taking a deep breath or two, and seriously reconsidering if your family needs those items or if at least some of them are just impulse buys, due to your rush, your hunger, your frazzled state of mind, you can save a LOT. So stop yourself. Remember why you came. Remember what you really need, and reconsider all the rest. Think: What will happen if you don't  buy it now. Will you need to come back tomorrow for it? Then get it. Will you not really miss it, and probably forget it and never come buy it or at least, not for a long while? Then put it back. You can save yourself and your family hundreds of dollars from just slowing down before you make your purchases, and thinking these things through, calmly. It only takes an extra minute or two, and it's totally worth it. Add up the savings in your head or on your phone (and don't forget tax!), as you rethinking things, and make a real, informed decision. What's more important to your family: those extra items, or the money you could save for something really great?

Do you find yourself often spending much more than you planned, on extra items, when you shop?

© iStockphoto.com/gpointstudio

by on Oct. 15, 2014 at 12:02 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
johnny4ever
by on Oct. 15, 2014 at 8:34 AM

If I have a list I usually stick with it!If I dont have a list..oopsy!

NicLof2
by on Oct. 15, 2014 at 8:52 AM
I usually buy why we need, I take my time, coupon and buy stuff on sale.
RobynS
by on Oct. 15, 2014 at 9:39 AM

DH usually does the grocery shopping, but when I do, I am inclined to want to buy a few extras (I'm gluten-free, so I like to browse the g-f section and treat myself to some goodies!) ;)

RobynS
by on Oct. 15, 2014 at 9:40 AM

No list is definitely dangerous territory. Also, shopping hungry--that always gets me!!

Quoting johnny4ever:

cemcnair
by on Oct. 15, 2014 at 9:54 AM
We plan very tightly. Rarely do we buy anything not on our list. We also only shop once a week (as a family) unless an unexpected need arises. Our budget is so tight right now, we do not have the luxury of buying extra. It is tight because we are paying off debt and saving for a house.
yvonne37
by Yvonne on Oct. 15, 2014 at 9:57 AM

I used to. Now I make lists and just run directly to where these items are at. this way i am not distracted by the sales or pretty colors ;)

another thing I do is when I am shopping for clothing, I first look at my closet to see what I have, colors, styles, etc.. then I say to myself.. these pants could use another blouse in this color.. etc.. then when I am on my way to the store I keep in mind exactly what I need.  I pick the things i like and need and walk around the store with them for a while, and in the meantime I think if I REALLY need it, what would it go nice with and for what occasions, because I am tired of buying things and never wearing them.

I also leave things that I am second guessing about (yes i bring them back to their rack) and I also think if I can find it online for cheaper (sometimes I look on my phone to see if they have it online).

Thrift shops are excellent places to find things that can be re-used or recycled (upcycled).

These tips have saved me a lot of money.

yvonne37
by Yvonne on Oct. 15, 2014 at 10:05 AM
1 mom liked this

True.. lists are very helpful.  And you should eat before shopping lol.  Another thing is to have a mint of something sweet right before you go in.. this way you dont get cravings ;)

Quoting RobynS:

No list is definitely dangerous territory. Also, shopping hungry--that always gets me!!

Quoting johnny4ever:

----- Visit my CafeMom homepage at http://www.cafemom.com/home/yvonne37
Madelaine
by Bronze Member on Oct. 15, 2014 at 10:45 AM

Not if I stick to what is on my list then I dont overspend.

LaniBee
by on Oct. 15, 2014 at 11:12 AM

I try to stick to my list, but I usually over spend! 

wandep
by on Oct. 15, 2014 at 11:31 AM

yes

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)