Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

marriage finances

Posted by on Oct. 15, 2014 at 2:41 PM
  • 7 Replies
My fiance and I are getting married in January or February.(running behind on plans LOL). We are not sure how to combine our finances. Mainly, we don't agree. We have been together 4 years and have always had everything separate, but that makes me feel like we are just roommates. He wants to combine everything 100%, but I am uncomfortable with that because we both have previous debt and different spending habits. I want to semi-combine so we have our joint account for our shared bills and house savings and we have our own account for our individual bills.

What do you and your spouses do about combining finances? If you lived together before you were married, did you combine before getting married or wait until it was official?
by on Oct. 15, 2014 at 2:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
Angela4boys
by on Oct. 16, 2014 at 9:23 AM
1 mom liked this

We have had combined since we lived together, we lived together for about 2 years before getting married.  I didn't have debt, but he did, which we eventually paid off (about 3 years into our marriage), and never acquired more. We've been married for 15 years now. 

We do know several couples that don't combine.  They are each responsible for certain bills, they pay those individually.  They have been married as long as we have. 

wandep
by on Oct. 16, 2014 at 10:00 AM

Congrats and welcome to the group.

michiganmom116
by on Oct. 16, 2014 at 10:15 AM
1 mom liked this

We combined as soon as we were married and have been married for 19 years 10 months tomorrow.  We both brought debt into the marriage, but what was his became mine and what was mine became his, in EVERY way.

We know couples that have separated incomes/bills and they have nothing but trouble.  I imagine it works for some people but it definitely needs to be discussed and decided and planned out before marriage.

LaniBee
by on Oct. 16, 2014 at 10:23 AM

We combined everything when we got married. Debt and all. The only thing we do not have is a joint credit card. 

army_wifey_06
by Bronze Member on Oct. 16, 2014 at 1:01 PM
We combined everything as soon as we got married. We've been married 8 years now.
proudmommy690
by on Oct. 16, 2014 at 1:12 PM
Bump for you
Vertical15
by on Oct. 17, 2014 at 2:01 AM
2 moms liked this

We combined everything.  We do each have our own bank accounts but we have a main combined one.  We use that for all the bills.  I get tips and put them into my own account.  My husband has a side business of selling guns and he uses his account for that.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)