• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Bulk Up Your Savings NOW: One Simple, Fool-Proof Tip Not to Miss

Posted by on Nov. 4, 2014 at 12:00 AM
  • 55 Replies

We all need help saving, these days. Costs are rising way faster than salaries are increasing, and on top of that, the economy has not been great for a long, long time, so jobs are not that secure anymore either. And, to make matters harder (and saving even more crucial), most of us don't have a pension, and many don't have subsidized health care either. Yikes! With all this financial strain, I'm always eager to learn about simple, fool-proof new ways to save (without making more money). And here's a new little tip I just picked up to share with you:

Give yourself a savings goal--make it reasonable though, and keep it small at first. This is just to show you how well this trick works. Let's pick $200, for instance. Not huge, but not at all insignificant either. So how can we save an extra $200 as fast and painlessly as possible? Here's how: Every day, or at least every other day, don't make 1 purchase that you were about to make. Maybe you're at the store buying craft materials and miscellaneous. Maybe you're buying clothes. Maybe you're grocery shopping, or just running errands and stopping somewhere to grab lunch. Skip ONE item, each day, and note the amount that you're saving (plus tax!) in your phone or in your head. Skip that extra side of fries, or that third new shirts. Forget the large barrel of pretzels or the magazine or soda. Just one little thing, each time. Just put it back. Then see how long it takes you to add your savings up to your "goal." You'll probably be surprised to find that you'll reach the $200 very quickly, if you do this every day or even every other day.

Now consider that even if you just did this 3 or 4  times a week--how long do you think it would take you to reach the $200? Still not that long, I'll bet! Even if it takes you a month, if you keep it up, by this time next year you will have saved $2,400! And that's a LOT of money! So try it out, and don't make it hard. You don't have to give up the things you love or really need to buy. Just put back something extra, that's not that important. And before you know it, you'll have enough for a family vacation, or an extra mortgage payment or two, or just a nice new bulk in your saving account for whenever you need it most.

Do you have any easy fool-proof tips for saving a little extra every day?

© iStockphoto.com/ ansonsaw

by on Nov. 4, 2014 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
letstalk747
by on Nov. 4, 2014 at 12:07 AM

im trying these

k9l1c5
by Member on Nov. 4, 2014 at 8:14 AM

Good idea! I will have to try this.

melindabelcher
by on Nov. 4, 2014 at 8:44 AM
I'm going to try this thank you :)
mamamedic69
by Bronze Member on Nov. 4, 2014 at 8:58 AM
When going out I try and group my trips together. If I'm going to one shopping area I'll park in the middle and walk to the different stores instead of having to restart the vehicle to go down to a different area in the same plaza.
johnny4ever
by on Nov. 4, 2014 at 8:58 AM
1 mom liked this

Saving  my change

johnny4ever
by on Nov. 4, 2014 at 8:59 AM
1 mom liked this

Oh!Use savings catcher from Walmart.I know it seems like very little but I have $6.

Madelaine
by Bronze Member on Nov. 4, 2014 at 9:22 AM

Great idea!

TigerofMu
by Silver Member on Nov. 4, 2014 at 10:51 AM

I love that idea, but I only shop once or twice a month, so I think it would take a little longer for me :).  CHange jar...empty the pockets and fill the jar.  No impulse buys at the gas station.

virginiamama71
by on Nov. 4, 2014 at 11:39 AM

it does add up to a nice amount.

I cashed some in last month, it was $92. I got gas and some groceries.

Quoting johnny4ever:

Saving  my change

baconbits
by on Nov. 4, 2014 at 11:48 AM

Staying out of the stores. If I only need a gallon of milk it's cheaper in the long run to just buy it at the gas station. Sure it might be an extra .50 - $1.00 but have you EVER been in the grocery store and come out with just a gallon of milk? More then likely I'd come out with 2 - 3 bags of groceries and forget the milk I went in for.

I've also asked my sister and mom to pick something up from the grocery store if they're going already. Saves me a trip and the temptation. I've done the same for them.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)