Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Holiday Countdown is ON!

Posted by on Nov. 4, 2014 at 12:00 AM
  • 58 Replies

Welcome to November, ladies! Just this weekend, I was redoing the calendar on the dry erase board in our "Family Control Center" area, and Kiddo came up and counted the weeks until Thanksgiving. "Only four weeks, Momma!" she exclaimed with glee. She kept looking onto December. "And SEVEN weeks til Hanukkah and EIGHT weeks til Christmas! That's, like, SUPER SOON!"

I sighed. She was right. The holidays were approaching fast. We chatted a while back how planning ahead is the best way to keep a handle on stress and your budget during this hectic and spending season.

My daughter's obvious countdown made me pause. Have I done anything to really plan for the occasion? Ummm, nope. So much for following my own advice, huh? I'm not quite freaking out, but I am a little more concerned than I was a few weeks ago.

So, aside from finalizing travel plans (I'll have hints on that tomorrow) and pondering any sort of crafts we might need to get started (check back Thursday for some Turkey Day DIY), I'm making more lists! What's included on them? A few ways to be festive and merry but not spend a lot of moolah, as well as the usual basic planning stuff.

-- Look up the holiday TV schedule. I love all of the movies, cartoons and specials that come on once a year, so I'm surfing around and jotting down when we will gather in snuggly pjs and pop some popcorn to catch "Elf" and "A Charlie Brown Christmas."

-- Checking out what's happening around town. There are always cool exhibits and gatherings for the holiday season that often don't cost a lot. I'm making sure we don't miss out on the fun.

-- Reviewing all of our winter clothes and accessories. Mittens, gloves, hats...I'm surveying what's lost, what can be used again, and what do I need to keep my eyes out for during the sale time to restock.

-- Making that gift list. Lining up kids, families, ages, what everyone is into so I can start to gather gifts soon when the sales hit.

How is your holiday planning coming along? What have you started doing?

ŠiStockphoto.com/Robert Churchill

by on Nov. 4, 2014 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
letstalk747
by on Nov. 4, 2014 at 12:05 AM

some shopping , made decision not going to anybodies house for hollydays , watching sales

proudmommy690
by on Nov. 4, 2014 at 8:03 AM
Not even ready :/
k9l1c5
by Member on Nov. 4, 2014 at 8:09 AM

I have started shopping already for dd, but need to make a list of the other people we need to buy for. And am going to start really getting my bake on in the next couple weeks.

melindabelcher
by on Nov. 4, 2014 at 8:40 AM
Ummm.
I've planned nothing.
I wish I could plan more but DH isn't a planner.
I may just make all the decisions myself and update him later. Lol
johnny4ever
by on Nov. 4, 2014 at 9:00 AM

Starting to plan Thanksgiving Dinner.

Madelaine
by Bronze Member on Nov. 4, 2014 at 9:23 AM

I have done a little bit of gift shopping but that is about it

TigerofMu
by Silver Member on Nov. 4, 2014 at 10:45 AM

I always check Hallmark Channel, Hallmark Mysteries and Movies, and ABC Family especially for their wonderful Christmas movies, which actually started on Halloween.  Our library has a pretty solid holiday collection as well.

We love to drive around and look at the lights, drinking hot cocoa and singing Christmas carols.  We also have been caroling a few times. 

I do need to buy more gloves, because those disappear! 

My gift list is open 365 days a year.  I have a spiral notebook that keep track of birthday and Christmas gifts in for several years, until I run out of space.  Then I have a record of who got what and what gifts we gave for several years in a row.  We also keep them in totes, so that we can buy ahead of time when we find good sales, or things that are interesting to our recipients. 

I do love the FlyLady's Holiday Control Journal.  Just the idea of the organization helps me relax :).

jessicasmom1
by Bronze Member on Nov. 4, 2014 at 12:01 PM

I love the holidays.......... store fronts  decked out awwwwwwwww

sanj1213
by on Nov. 4, 2014 at 12:09 PM
I've done some shopping. No meal planning yet.
Bob192
by Bronze Member on Nov. 4, 2014 at 12:11 PM

I shop for Christmas year around.  I have not really started anything else except try to decide where we are going for Thanksgiving.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)