Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Price of turkeys is up this year

Posted by on Nov. 4, 2014 at 8:11 AM
  • 13 Replies

Thanksgiving this year might be one of the most expensive ever, as according to the October 3, 2014 USDA Turkey Market News Report this year there is actually 3% less pounds of turkey available then a year ago and in taking a look at the same week’s USDA’s Weekly Retail Turkey Feature Activity report it seems like practically no retailers have put whole turkeys on sale yet; the sale prices seem to be on those higher priced rotisserie breasts and bone-in breasts. The national average price for both Tom and Hen frozen turkeys are $1.29 per pound.

Traditionally supermarkets use low priced, or free turkeys to lure us in to do all our holiday shopping at their store, but this year may be different as prices for beef, pork and even chicken have all been on the rise.

Have you seen any low prices or deals on turkeys yet?

by on Nov. 4, 2014 at 8:11 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
melindabelcher
by on Nov. 4, 2014 at 8:45 AM
I haven't seen any turkey sales.
mamamedic69
by Bronze Member on Nov. 4, 2014 at 8:54 AM
I haven't seen any turkey sales yet.
michiganmom116
by Gold Member on Nov. 4, 2014 at 9:40 AM

no sales yet.  I expect to see them starting next week.

k9l1c5
by Member on Nov. 4, 2014 at 10:26 AM
I haven't looked for sales yet, our grocery store does the free Turkey if you earn 400 points and we are already there so will be getting a free one soon. We can thank those 400 points largely to a coupon we used that was "Spend $50 and get 300 extra points!"... so yeah only took a couple shopping trips this year.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TigerofMu
by Silver Member on Nov. 4, 2014 at 10:52 AM

Wow.  That could be bad for us.  We give away about 60 turkeys at Thanksgiving every year, and the youth group in town raises the money and purchases them. 

IncognitoOne
by Bronze Member on Nov. 4, 2014 at 3:09 PM

I honestly haven't looked. We never buy the turkey. The person hosting buys the turkey and no one wants to be squished into my house...so I never have to buy one.

Beachdeprived
by on Nov. 4, 2014 at 3:14 PM

Personally I could do without the turkey anyway and just pig out on all the side dishes and dessert!

SweetLuci
by Silver Member on Nov. 4, 2014 at 11:35 PM

That's good that you're all set!

Quoting k9l1c5: I haven't looked for sales yet, our grocery store does the free Turkey if you earn 400 points and we are already there so will be getting a free one soon. We can thank those 400 points largely to a coupon we used that was "Spend $50 and get 300 extra points!"... so yeah only took a couple shopping trips this year.

Janet
by Bronze Member on Nov. 5, 2014 at 12:17 PM

A friend just told me last night that Giant Eagle has them for 69 cents a pound if you spend $25.

proudmommy690
by on Nov. 5, 2014 at 9:18 PM
Haven't been to the store to look never bought one.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)