• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Thanksgiving failures?

Posted by on Nov. 24, 2014 at 11:02 AM
  • 18 Replies

What's the worst thing that ever happened on Thanksgiving? Turkey didn't get cooked enough, pumpkin pie didn't set up, Deep fried turkey didn't go as planned, or something else?

by on Nov. 24, 2014 at 11:02 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mamamedic69
by Bronze Member on Nov. 24, 2014 at 11:43 AM
When I lived in New England we lost our electricity on Thanksgiving and nothing got cooked.
k9l1c5
by Member on Nov. 24, 2014 at 12:43 PM

I have thankfully never had anything horrible happen. My mom told me of a story of the first time she had Thanksgiving with her inlaws (My grandparents) before I was born. Her and my Aunt were in charge of the turkey and they caught it on fire in the oven because they didn't put a hole in the turkey bag and it expanded and touched the side of the oven. Of course they all laugh about it now but she was so embarrassed at the time.

chicken13
by Member on Nov. 24, 2014 at 7:27 PM

We've been doing the big meal for almost 25 years and we've had some incidents.  Lol

one year the turkey collapsed in the oven.  Weirdest thing I've ever seen....it was flattened like it got hit by a truck and then put back in.   Needless to say we carved in the kitchen where no one was the wiser.

another year, dh dropped it on the floor.  I swear, it just leaped off the plate.  Our gracious family all laughed and called the 5 sec rule.  Thank goodness.

ive also forgotten to cook the roasted squash.  "Everyone...just put it back in the bowl, please".  I lit a spiced beet dish on fire....whoops.  And my mil brought over the ugliest Apple pie in the world last year..."I attempted a lattice crust".  

When you cook a lot...you have mistakes.  The important thing is to just roll with it.

letstalk747
by on Nov. 24, 2014 at 8:13 PM

oh no

Quoting mamamedic69: When I lived in New England we lost our electricity on Thanksgiving and nothing got cooked.

letstalk747
by on Nov. 24, 2014 at 8:14 PM

lol

Quoting k9l1c5:

I have thankfully never had anything horrible happen. My mom told me of a story of the first time she had Thanksgiving with her inlaws (My grandparents) before I was born. Her and my Aunt were in charge of the turkey and they caught it on fire in the oven because they didn't put a hole in the turkey bag and it expanded and touched the side of the oven. Of course they all laugh about it now but she was so embarrassed at the time.

SweetLuci
by Silver Member on Nov. 24, 2014 at 8:21 PM

Uh oh. So what did you do?

Quoting mamamedic69: When I lived in New England we lost our electricity on Thanksgiving and nothing got cooked.

SweetLuci
by Silver Member on Nov. 24, 2014 at 8:24 PM

Oh my.

Quoting k9l1c5:

SweetLuci
by Silver Member on Nov. 24, 2014 at 8:26 PM

Stuff happens! lol

Quoting chicken13:

We've been doing the big meal for almost 25 years and we've had some incidents.  Lol

one year the turkey collapsed in the oven.  Weirdest thing I've ever seen....it was flattened like it got hit by a truck and then put back in.   Needless to say we carved in the kitchen where no one was the wiser.

another year, dh dropped it on the floor.  I swear, it just leaped off the plate.  Our gracious family all laughed and called the 5 sec rule.  Thank goodness.

ive also forgotten to cook the roasted squash.  "Everyone...just put it back in the bowl, please".  I lit a spiced beet dish on fire....whoops.  And my mil brought over the ugliest Apple pie in the world last year..."I attempted a lattice crust".  

When you cook a lot...you have mistakes.  The important thing is to just roll with it.

SweetLuci
by Silver Member on Nov. 24, 2014 at 8:28 PM
1 mom liked this

My first Thanksgiving. We were newly married and were far from home and our large extended families. I used an oven bag and a small -probably 10-12 lb turkey. It said cook it for, I think, 2 hours. Well, that just didn't seem right, so I kept on cooking it, cause I remembered my mom cooking it for what seemed like all day. Naturally I didn't remember that she usually had about a 23 lb turkey and didn't use an oven bag, which cooks somewhat quicker. Well, when I finally took it out, I asked dh to check and see if it was done. He said it was definitely done and that maybe we should just put in on the table in the roaster pan . When we placed it on the table, it literally fell apart before our eyes. It split at the top, and just kind of slumped down. The stuffing came oozing out-not a pretty sight! My 16 year old step daughter was visiting us for the first time. It had been a little strained until then. She let a little giggle slip out, and then we all just started laughing so hard, and it sure broke the ice. The turkey was tender and juicy-but it sure wasn't pretty anymore! Now she's grown and has a family of her own. She still calls me on Thanksgiving and asks if the turkey is done yet. lol

mamamedic69
by Bronze Member on Nov. 24, 2014 at 8:45 PM
It happened 2 hours into the process too. It was a Thanksgiving to remember.

Quoting letstalk747:

oh no

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)