Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Jolly Holiday Decorations You Can Make

Posted by on Dec. 4, 2014 at 12:00 AM
  • 73 Replies

IT IS ON!

Sorry, didn't mean totally "yell" with my all caps up there, but really, it's here. It's happening. It's full-on grooving and a-moving.

I'm talking the holidays, of course. We've been list-making, we've been gift buying, perhaps there's a little decorating occurring already. In my home, we haven't yet started hanging anything yet. No tree up yet, no menorah displayed yet (we do both Hanukkah and Christmas), no stockings. I'm freaking a bit, yes, especially since I had planned on doing some homemade decorations this year.

Why? Why make my own when there's a ton of stuff still left to do? Three reasons! First, it does save a little money, helps carve space in that holiday budget for other things like that last-minute stocking stuff for Uncle Morty or a special holiday treat for the kiddo. Second, it's a pretty cool activity to do and make some memories with the family (who can help with a lot of these ideas below). It's the perfect way to spend an afternoon when, um, Mother Nature dumps some snow or rain or supercold temps on your backyard.

What am I eyeing to create this year for the abode? Check out these pretty easy but pretty festive décor ideas!

You would think this would take a lot of crafty-know how, but if you can roll playdoh into a ball, you can make this felted wool garland. I love all of the uses and ideas that According to Kelly has for these little rows of balls:

These are adorable...and useful after the holidays too. They show it hanging on the stockings, but you can add these along a banister or in the entryway to be festive. Nab a few cheap little clipboards, some chalkboard paint and any other decorations you want to add and then head to SisterSuitcaseBlog to get the how-tos;

You can't get any easier or more chic than this décor idea. Simply grab some twigs, some salt and a few low vases. Such a cool way to decorate the mantel or your holiday table. Check it out at Celebrations.com:

Recycle and reveal your fabulously festive craft style with this bottle centerpiece collection. Paint old bottles white (or gold or green or red or silver), add some candles and a ribbon tag to create this look. More details are over at A Subtle Revelry:

Something for the tree...or to hang on doorknobs or cabinet pulls. As Mom4Real shows us, simply use glue, ribbon and jingle bells to whip up this fun ornament (it's a great gift idea too):

Have you put up your tree yet? Share the pics of your holiday decor!

©iStockphoto.com/ slav

by on Dec. 4, 2014 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
TigerofMu
by Silver Member on Dec. 4, 2014 at 12:30 AM

No tree yet, though I have the space all ready for it and have been wrapping presents.  We get a live tree, so we'll probably pick it up this week sometime.

wandep
by on Dec. 4, 2014 at 8:57 AM

Cute ideas!

johnny4ever
by on Dec. 4, 2014 at 9:30 AM
1 mom liked this

michiganmom116
by on Dec. 4, 2014 at 9:52 AM

Those are some cute ideas!

michiganmom116
by on Dec. 4, 2014 at 9:53 AM

We have our tree, still waiting for the branches to settle before we bring it in the house to decorate. 

LaniBee
by on Dec. 4, 2014 at 10:11 AM

We haven't started yet. Waiting for our oldest DD to come home from school so we can have the whole family together to pick out a tree and decorate. 

sanj1213
by on Dec. 4, 2014 at 11:04 AM
Not yet.
la_bella_vita
by on Dec. 4, 2014 at 12:01 PM

Neat ideas! I love making things

KylesMom409
by Bronze Member on Dec. 4, 2014 at 1:29 PM
Awesome ideas! 😉
mem82
by Member on Dec. 4, 2014 at 1:44 PM

I have put up the tree and a few random pieces of decor.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)