Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Allowance

Posted by on Dec. 4, 2014 at 8:33 PM
  • 7 Replies

Did you get one as a kid? What did you have to do to earn it? Do your kids get an allowance? What do they have to do to earn it?

by on Dec. 4, 2014 at 8:33 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
chicken13
by Member on Dec. 4, 2014 at 9:34 PM

I did NOT.  And it sucked.  I basically had to start working at 13 so that I could have any discretionary money.  It was too much, too overwhelming and limited my ability to do sports or activities of any kind.   Ultimately, I feel like it affected my college choices.

dd has an allowance.  It's not tied to chores.  She has chores...those have to get done cause she's a member of this household.  

An allowance helps kids learn how to manage their money.  She has expenses...things that she is required to budget out of her allowance.  She has to make choices and live with the consequences.  

melliburger
by Bronze Member on Dec. 4, 2014 at 10:59 PM

He doesn't have one yet. He does get a lot of random change and puts it into his piggy bank.

michiganmom116
by on Dec. 5, 2014 at 6:41 AM

no, and no.

SarahSuzyQ
by Bronze Member on Dec. 5, 2014 at 7:07 AM
I don't remember specifically, but I think I must have gotten an allowance.

DS is 6, and right now he gets $1/week. I think we might up that in the new year. He has a list of chores to complete, and we never have any issue with that so we haven't made a big deal out of earning allowance. He also has the opportunity to earn extra money by collecting all the cans that are eligible for redemption and then keeping that money.
KylesMom409
by Bronze Member on Dec. 5, 2014 at 7:08 AM
Same here with DS. And I didn't get an allowance when I was a kid.

Quoting melliburger:

He doesn't have one yet. He does get a lot of random change and puts it into his piggy bank.

ablox
by Member on Dec. 5, 2014 at 9:02 AM
I did. Honestly I. Didn't do anything really but clean my room. Our sd will get an allowance if she does her chores.
Tallgal230
by on Dec. 5, 2014 at 9:05 AM

I never got an allowance and my kids don't either. Growing up and I do this with my own kids, we always had chores to do which taught responsibility. Instead what we do with our kids is once a month we will go out and eat as a family and then usually go shopping. When we go shopping as a family, we allow our children to ask for one gift that is under 20 dollars. That seems to work well for us.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)