Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Buying extended warranty plans

Posted by on Dec. 12, 2014 at 8:12 AM
  • 11 Replies

Do you do this?

by on Dec. 12, 2014 at 8:12 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
michiganmom116
by Gold Member on Dec. 12, 2014 at 8:15 AM

I buy extended warranty plans for appliances, and I'm sure glad I do.

Our microwave died two days ago, I believe it's the magnatron....a mere 1 year, 3 months, and 15 days after purchase (original warranty was 1 yr).  Thankfully I bought a 5 yr. extended warranty for $30 when I bought the microwave, so I just need to contact the company and arrange for a free repair.

Whew!

AlleyCat08
by on Dec. 12, 2014 at 8:20 AM
On electronics or appliances, yes. Anything else, no.
ablackdolphin
by Bronze Member on Dec. 12, 2014 at 10:53 AM

No

TigerofMu
by Silver Member on Dec. 12, 2014 at 1:52 PM

Sometimes.  Although, the last time I bought one on our washer, Whirlpool and Menards would not honor it.  I have never had any problems with Sears honoring theirs, and I had a pricey repair done on my computer this year that cost more than the plan, so I won there.

melliburger
by Bronze Member on Dec. 14, 2014 at 1:54 AM

Not really.

wandep
by on Dec. 14, 2014 at 8:50 AM

Sometimes but not all the time.

chicken13
by Member on Dec. 14, 2014 at 11:18 AM

Almost never.  The few times I have...there's always a catch and the repair isn't covered.  I prefer to just try to buy a slightly more quality product.

SarahSuzyQ
by Bronze Member on Dec. 14, 2014 at 3:39 PM
No. I find there are usually too many exceptions to make it worthwhile. :-\
ILoveMyFam
by on Dec. 14, 2014 at 3:43 PM

Depends on the life expectancy, original cost of the item, and cost of the warranty.  If it's a $300 purchase, the warranty is another $50+, and I'm happy to get a year or two out of it, it's not worth it to me.  However I just purchased a new washer/dryer for $1200, I purchased the extended warranty for both. 

ScrChk23
by on Dec. 14, 2014 at 11:32 PM

I have in the past, but I never used it.  I don't buy them any more.  I did buy a home owner's warranty when I bought my first house.  I got screwed when the septic system went out.  The warranty people claimed that it was not covered, even though the language of the warranty stated it did.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)