Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Ho ho ho! Wondering What To Do NOW?

Posted by on Dec. 25, 2014 at 12:00 AM
  • 48 Replies

Merry Christmas! Though wrapping paper and boxes and cookie crumbs may be everywhere and all of you still have bedhead going on, let's stop and pause and look around. Can you see it? Yup, I'm talking the moment at hand, the joy that is swinging on those tree branches, the fortunate feelings that are snuggled next to you on the couch, the pure love that has settled as a mist over everything.

Today is a day not to worry about finances. It's a day to set aside money woes and push to the back of the mind the usual thoughts that often fill our days. So, you may ask, what are you supposed to do now? Everything's been wrapped and now unwrapped. Perhaps you will partake in a turkey or ham feast later. Maybe there's an annual family football game to kick off.

But, maybe you find yourself like many do, with a wondering of  "now-what-itis"...that nagging itch that you should be doing something. I've felt that often. What to do when you have the now-what-itis on Christmas Day and the kids are doing their own thing and your husband has fallen asleep in his recliner? I'll tell you what I do...and for most of them, you don't even need to leave the couch.

-- Write about the year. Take this time and jot down some highlights. Could be just traditions you want to keep going, ones you missed out on and want to kick off next year, memories that made you laugh, quotes...just capture the past few months or the whole year on paper.

-- Make a gratitude list. Again, pen in hand, record all of those people and things (tangible or not) that you are for which you are thankful.

-- Use your brain. Grab a crossword puzzle, do some fun game on your phone, read a book. Channel those brainwaves in a different, fun way that you don't often get to enjoy.

-- Get prepared for the upcoming days. Whether it's how you want to re-organize the playroom cubbies to fit these new games and toys or the closet that needs some purging, make a list and brainstorm...just don't do it today.

-- Do nothing. Take a nap. Vege out watching a totally fluffy and fun Christmas movie. Twiddle your thumbs. Literally, anything goes today!

What are your post-unwrapping-presents plans?

©iStockphoto.com/ Devonyu 

by on Dec. 25, 2014 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SarahSuzyQ
by Bronze Member on Dec. 25, 2014 at 12:07 AM
Well, we are planning to fish and walk on the beach... But I really like the idea of writing down the year's highlights, too. :-)
wandep
by on Dec. 25, 2014 at 5:07 PM
1 mom liked this

Well, we ended up going to my aunt and uncle's house to eat lunch. Then we came home (1 hr drive). We're just sitting here watching tv and waiting on my cousin to come over to pick up the cellphone she is buying from me. Other than that not a whole lot. :)

wandep
by on Dec. 25, 2014 at 5:07 PM

Sounds like fun. 

Quoting SarahSuzyQ: Well, we are planning to fish and walk on the beach... But I really like the idea of writing down the year's highlights, too. :-)

michiganmom116
by Gold Member on Dec. 25, 2014 at 6:17 PM

We are resting/relaxing.  Back to work tomorrow.

SarahSuzyQ
by Bronze Member on Dec. 25, 2014 at 8:49 PM
It was great! The sun finally came out after several rainy days and the weather this afternoon was lovely. Plus I found a complete sand dollar. :-)

Quoting wandep:

Sounds like fun. 

Quoting SarahSuzyQ: Well, we are planning to fish and walk on the beach... But I really like the idea of writing down the year's highlights, too. :-)

TigerofMu
by Silver Member on Dec. 25, 2014 at 11:50 PM

Love those ideas :).  We just relaxed, spent time with our oldest daughter and her family who came today, and played with our new toys.

TheJerseyGirl
by Silver Member on Dec. 26, 2014 at 9:15 AM

I tend to get depressed during Winter. I want to get out more and stop thinking about it. I want to exercise more bc it honestly makes my mood better! Now there's a problem called motivation...lol.

KylesMom409
by Bronze Member on Dec. 26, 2014 at 9:18 PM
Worked all day today. Not looking forward to taking everything down because the house looks so plain and dreary afterwards.
Hannahsmommy816
by on Dec. 27, 2014 at 8:27 AM
Tyfs, organized presents but have more to do..taking it slow
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kellynh
by on Dec. 27, 2014 at 9:39 PM

I organized the gifts

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)