Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Teaching kids about money

Posted by on Dec. 28, 2014 at 9:18 PM
  • 6 Replies
At what age do you think is a "good age" to start really teaching your kids about money and how it all works in the grand scheme of things?
by on Dec. 28, 2014 at 9:18 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
KylesMom409
by Bronze Member on Dec. 28, 2014 at 9:20 PM
DS is 7 and I was talking to him today about how I had to buy a few things. His response was "use your credit card". LOL I tried explaining to him how that whole process works and I think he understood it for the most part.
ScrChk23
by on Dec. 28, 2014 at 9:37 PM

I think 4-5 is a good age to introduce kids to money and how it works.  The explanations get more involved the older the kids get.  Our oldest is almost 8 years so we have not had too many in depth conversations.

melliburger
by Bronze Member on Dec. 28, 2014 at 9:58 PM

We are starting to teach our son right now

michiganmom116
by Gold Member on Dec. 28, 2014 at 10:10 PM

from the minute they understand "if you give me that, I'll give you this".  My 3 yr old granddaughter knows where any spare change goes (in her bank) and that she gives cashiers money for her treats.

TigerofMu
by Silver Member on Dec. 28, 2014 at 11:06 PM

I think as soon as they are old enough to observe, it is time to start teaching by example and by talking things through with them.

chicken13
by Member on Dec. 29, 2014 at 9:22 AM

As early and as much as you think they can grasp...

Dd is 14 now....she gets alot of the basics but things like leasing versus buying still kinda float over her head.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)