Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

143/mo for groceries

Posted by on Mar. 6, 2016 at 4:31 AM
  • 29 Replies
Hello :) i am a stay at home mommy. My daughter was just born january 17th. And we also have a one year old daughter as well. My fiance works his ass off working 2 jobs and only brings home about 700/bi-weekly due to garnishments and taxes. BEFORE taxes and garnishment ge should be bringing home $2130! So when our daughter was born i had to update our food stamp case and since they saw that income they cut us down from $375 to $143/mo in food stamps...well that just does not feed a family of 4. Not to mention we live in a tiny 1 bedroom apt. With our girls and we r barely paying the bills NOW. so does anyone have tips on saving money with groceries. I shop at aldis and meijer.
by on Mar. 6, 2016 at 4:31 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Hannahsmommy816
by on Mar. 6, 2016 at 6:34 AM
Hey due date group buddy! Find a store that double coupons and clip coupons! Other than that..aldis is the way to go. I hate that any assistance goes off gross income
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Hannahsmommy816
by on Mar. 6, 2016 at 6:35 AM
WIC if you aren't already on it. Local food banks an option?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
michiganmom116
by Gold Member on Mar. 6, 2016 at 7:36 AM
3 moms liked this

How much longer will he pay garnishments?

I agree, get on WIC if at all possible.  You and your daughters should qualify easily if you're on FS.  That will get you plenty of milk, cheese, cereal, eggs, peanut butter, and more.

We have an Aldi and a Meijer here so I'm aware of how much higher Meijer prices are..  My advice?  Use Meijer only for the loss leaders and free things, but if an item is cheaper at Aldi, get it there...no excuses.  In the last 3 weeks, I have spent less than $125 for groceries for a household two adults and 4 teens by planning meals ahead of time, making cheap meals, using what I have on hand already, and shopping at Aldi. 

brookelle2012
by New Member on Mar. 6, 2016 at 8:19 AM
Yes i do have WIC :) and believe it or not food banks around here wont help us because they are all affiliated with DHS and they say we make too much for their help! Isnt that rediculous?! Even FOOD BANKS turn us away...
brookelle2012
by New Member on Mar. 6, 2016 at 8:23 AM
I have even resorted to starting my own ItWorks business but it takes money to make money and ita been super hard for me not knowing anyone really that wants to buy product or help me out. I take alot of pride in these products. I have seen them work and i have seen this company change lives. And if i could get this going, that could be my extra grocery $ for the month.
michiganmom116
by Gold Member on Mar. 6, 2016 at 8:33 AM
2 moms liked this
KylesMom409
by Bronze Member on Mar. 7, 2016 at 7:33 AM
Good advice

Quoting michiganmom116:

I agree, get on WIC if at all possible.  You and your daughters should qualify easily if you're on FS.  That will get you plenty of milk, cheese, cereal, eggs, peanut butter, and more.

We have an Aldi and a Meijer here so I'm aware of how much higher Meijer prices are..  My advice?  Use Meijer only for the loss leaders and free things, but if an item is cheaper at Aldi, get it there...no excuses.  In the last 3 weeks, I have spent less than $125 for groceries for a household two adults and 4 teens by planning meals ahead of time, making cheap meals, using what I have on hand already, and shopping at Aldi. 

michiganmom116
by Gold Member on Mar. 7, 2016 at 7:55 AM

I've been there/done for many many years when my 5 kids were littles.  We did not get food stamps, but there were many months that our grocery budget was less than what she's getting.

Quoting KylesMom409: Good advice
Quoting michiganmom116:

LaughCryLive
by on Mar. 7, 2016 at 7:59 AM
3 moms liked this
At this point you need a good birth control and a job.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)