Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Dinner Ideas Dinner Ideas

Rosemary Potato Skewers

Posted by   + Show Post

Memorial Day weekend at my house was a hit. There is nothing better than a day spent with family and friends, barbecuing and enjoying the sunshine (at least in our neck of the woods, there was sun - luckily).

That being said, this holiday is really a kick off for all things summer. And nothing says summer like an outdoor cookout.

We recently got a new grill, and decided to test it out. On the menu was chicken, hot dogs, corn on the cob and of course our family's favorite roasted rosemary potato skewers. These potatoes are great and we always make sure to make a few more skewers more than we need so we have left overs.

We ate them that night, hot off the grill, and I plan to use then this evening chopped up in a salad along with the left over chicken and corn. YUM. Healthy and easy.

Another great thing about the potatoes? They are amazingly easy for the big bold taste you get as the end result. Great for feeding a hungry crowd. Here's what you need:

Enough extra virgin olive oil to coat cut potatoes (you can also use canola oil in a pinch)
2 medium-sized red potatoes per person
Rosemary, pepper, sea salt to taste

• Clean and wash potatoes and cut them into fourths or pieces big enough to fit onto skewers.
  • Put clean, cut potatoes into a gallon sized plastic bag and add olive oil and spices.
  • Close bag tight, shake to coat.
  • Let marinate for 20 minutes
  • Skewer and place directly on grill. Cook until desired tenderness
  • Serve and enjoy.

Moms - what are your favorite food items to skewer on the grill?

by on Jun. 1, 2011 at 12:00 AM
Replies (31-40):
KristinRox
by Member on Jun. 13, 2011 at 11:48 PM
I love pork and sweet peppers and red onions. Yummy.
KristinRox
by Member on Jun. 13, 2011 at 11:49 PM
It never occurred to me that you should add some fruit. Sounds delicious.

Quoting sodapple:

Pineapples, or any fruit, it makes it really sweet.

JOIN US ON:

KristinRox
by Member on Jun. 13, 2011 at 11:51 PM
This recipe sounds so so so good. I can't wait to try it.
delanna6two
by Silver Member on Jun. 14, 2011 at 12:45 AM

this would be something different for me....have not tried this myself before...my neighbors made shrimp one bbq holiday and treated my dc with a shrimp skewer.

elasmimi
by on Jun. 14, 2011 at 7:44 AM

I've done this in the oven, but never on the grill, have to try it.

Jerichos_Mommy
by Member on Jun. 14, 2011 at 8:05 PM

I love kababs and playing with new combos.

Serenity75
by on Jun. 20, 2011 at 5:58 PM

Good to know, thanks!  I'm always running out of olive oil since I use it so much, but always seem to have more than enough canola oil on hand.

Quoting christina f:

Memorial Day weekend at my house was a hit. There is nothing better than a day spent with family and friends, barbecuing and enjoying the sunshine (at least in our neck of the woods, there was sun - luckily).

That being said, this holiday is really a kick off for all things summer. And nothing says summer like an outdoor cookout.

We recently got a new grill, and decided to test it out. On the menu was chicken, hot dogs, corn on the cob and of course our family's favorite roasted rosemary potato skewers. These potatoes are great and we always make sure to make a few more skewers more than we need so we have left overs.

We ate them that night, hot off the grill, and I plan to use then this evening chopped up in a salad along with the left over chicken and corn. YUM. Healthy and easy.

Another great thing about the potatoes? They are amazingly easy for the big bold taste you get as the end result. Great for feeding a hungry crowd. Here's what you need:

Enough extra virgin olive oil to coat cut potatoes (you can also use canola oil in a pinch)
2 medium-sized red potatoes per person
Rosemary, pepper, sea salt to taste

• Clean and wash potatoes and cut them into fourths or pieces big enough to fit onto skewers.
  • Put clean, cut potatoes into a gallon sized plastic bag and add olive oil and spices.
  • Close bag tight, shake to coat.
  • Let marinate for 20 minutes
  • Skewer and place directly on grill. Cook until desired tenderness
  • Serve and enjoy.

Moms - what are your favorite food items to skewer on the grill?

Terri441
by on Jun. 27, 2011 at 11:59 AM

me neither, but I love rosemary and may give this a try this coming weekend.

Quoting Leelee1008:

ditto

Quoting heathermichelle:

I have never done skewers

jessicasmom1
by Laina on Jun. 28, 2011 at 6:42 PM

sounds great I better be buying some more propane for the grill you all are making me wish to grill out.

Mom2Kylie2708
by Lauren on Jun. 29, 2011 at 8:17 AM

I dont have a grill so I dont skewer anything...but i do wish I had one, mostly for shrimp and veggies!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)