Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Dinner Ideas Dinner Ideas

Best Potato Salad Ever

Posted by on Jun. 1, 2011 at 12:00 AM
  • 42 Replies

Best. Potato. Salad. Ever.

That's a big claim. I know. But seriously, once you taste this, I promise it's going to be a go to recipe for your family through out the summer and maybe even beyond.  It could be because my family is crazy about bacon, but who isn't?

Here's the recipe:

2 ½ lbs red potatoes, cut into eights

5 slices of bacon

½ cup mayo

¼ cup sour cream

1 tablespoon vinegar

salt and pepper to taste

4 green onions

3 celery sticks, chopped

3 ounces blue cheese crumbled

Directions:

• Boil potatoes until tender.
  • Cook bacon until crisp, and cut into one-inch pieces.
  • In a bowl, combine mayonnaise, sour cream, vinegar, salt and pepper.
  • Fold in green onions, cheese, potatoes and bacon.
  • Can be served immediately or refrigerate until ready to serve.

So, what to serve with this salad? It's a great accompaniment for burgers, hotdogs, and sandwiches. Perfect for picnics and a breezy summer meal.  I find that my two and a half year old really likes potato salad. Well, really anything with potatoes in it, but potato salad in particular. I'm definitely ok with that, as long as I can get him to eat something!

Ok summer chefs, what are your favorite potato salad ad-ins?   As I'm sure we'll see in the comments, the possibilities are endless for delish salads!

by on Jun. 1, 2011 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
KamsOne
by on Jun. 1, 2011 at 10:12 AM

I've never made potato salad.  Mainly because I hate mayonnaise.  But I've heard there's a german potato salad that doesn't use mayo so I might try to make one this summer.

Terri441
by on Jun. 1, 2011 at 10:35 AM

Quoting KamsOne:

I've never made potato salad.  Mainly because I hate mayonnaise.  But I've heard there's a german potato salad that doesn't use mayo so I might try to make one this summer.

I don't use mayo in my potato salad. I roast the potato chunks in the oven and then the dressing is plain yogurt, dijon mustard, lemon juice, cilantro (or sometimes I use dill), chopped peppers, a chopped chipoltle pepper, some salt and pepper...it's terrif!

August07Mom
by on Jun. 1, 2011 at 10:39 AM

I've very picky about potato salad.  I stick to what I know.  Potatoes, eggs, sweet relish, mayo, and mustard.  Mmmm Mmmm

andrea96
by on Jun. 1, 2011 at 11:06 AM

Quoting KamsOne:

I think I have a potato salad recipe somewhere that doesn't use mayo. I'll try to find it.

Terri441
by on Jun. 1, 2011 at 11:34 AM

Quoting Terri441:

Quoting KamsOne:

I don't use mayo in my potato salad. I roast the potato chunks in the oven and then the dressing is plain yogurt, dijon mustard, lemon juice, cilantro (or sometimes I use dill), chopped peppers, a chopped chipoltle pepper, some salt and pepper...it's terrif!

this should have said lime juice not lemon
Chipotle potato salad
2 lb small potatos
1 tbsp olive oil
salt and pepper
toss potatoes with oil, salt, and pepper and roast at 450 for 15-20 minutes

Mix
1 cup plain yogurt
1/2 cup cilantro chopped
3 green onions sliced
1 yellow pepper chopped
1 chipotle pepper chopped
1 tbsp dijonb mustard
1 tsp lime juice

mix and serve warm or chilled

periwinkle163
by on Jun. 1, 2011 at 12:10 PM

I always make a mustard potato salad.

periwinkle163
by on Jun. 1, 2011 at 12:11 PM

Quoting KamsOne:

I love German Potato salad, it is vinegary, and delicious!

christina f
by Cafemom Blogger on Jun. 2, 2011 at 1:53 AM

Great idea for those who do not like mayo. I've also seen recipes featuring olive oil as a base.

epoh
by on Jun. 2, 2011 at 6:38 AM
I'm making potato salad this week with red potatoes, radishes, and dill. Should be yummy!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SweetLuci
by Bronze Member on Jun. 2, 2011 at 11:08 PM

This sounds great with bacon and blue cheese. This is the way I make mine:

Potato Salad

2 ½ lbs. potatoes (half of 5 LB bag) about 6-8 potatoes

3-4 boiled eggs (more or less as you like)

2 Tablespoons vinegar

2 cups mayonnaise

½ cup Dijon mustard

1 ½ teaspoons Lawrey’s seasoned salt

½ teaspoon black pepper (or a couple grinds on pepper mill)

1 teaspoon celery seed

1 cup thinly sliced celery (I also chop up the leaves & use them)

1 cup chopped onion or sliced green onions or some of each

½ cup sweet or dill pickle relish or chopped pickles (sometimes I use both)

1 Tablespoon fresh minced dill (also can use sprigs for garnish)

1 Tablespoon fresh minced parsley

Optional: I sometimes add chopped green olives, or crumbled bacon

Place eggs in a small saucepan. Cover with water. Bring to a boil. Remove from heat, cover with lid and let sit 15 min. Put under cold running water to cool. Hit each egg all over with the back of a spoon to crack and loosen shell and place back in water. Peel and chop eggs. Place potatoes in a large stockpot. Cover with water. Bring to a boil over med-high heat. Reduce heat and simmer for about 10-15 minutes or until potatoes are tender but still firm when pierced with a sharp knife. Drain, run cold water over to cool slightly (don’t let sit in water too long or they get waterlogged). Peel and cut into cubes. Sprinkle vinegar over potatoes while they are still slightly warm and toss gently. Combine rest of ingredients in large bowl. Add eggs and potatoes (better if potatoes are still warm, it seems the flavors integrate better that way).

These amounts are guesstimates, add or subtract as desired. Sometimes the potatoes are drier that usual and more mayonnaise and mustard might have to be added.

If I’m making deviled eggs at the same time, I make them first, so that I can use the pretty ones first, and the ones the mess up for the potato salad.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN