Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Dinner Ideas Dinner Ideas

Have a little beer for desert

Posted by on Jun. 9, 2011 at 1:51 PM
  • 8 Replies

I made this post in another group for St Patty's Day & these cupcakes would be great for Father's Day too. So I thought I would share them in here. (I copied it, I didn't really make them yesterday lol)

OK I made some Guinness cupcakes yesterday & here they are. They were so yummy! I put little notes in the recipe & more info at the very bottom. Sorry the recipe is a day late lol. We celebrated since dh is Irish. 

Ingredients

• 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa, plus more for dusting finished cupcakes (i put green sprinkles on mine)
  • 2 cups sugar
  • 2 cups all-purposeflour (maybe try cake flour next time)
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • Pinch fine salt
  • 1 bottle stout beer (recommended: Guinness) (use room temp beer)
  • 1 stick butter, melted
  • 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
  • 3 large eggs
  • 3/4 cup sour cream

Directions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the cocoa, sugar, flour, baking soda, and salt.

In another medium mixing bowl, combine the stout, melted butter, and vanilla. Beat in eggs, 1 at time. Mix in sour cream until thoroughly combined and smooth. Gradually mix the dry ingredients into the wet mixture.

Lightly grease 24 muffin tins. Divide the batter equally between muffin tins, filling each 3/4 full. Bake for about 12 minutes and then rotate the pans. Bake another 12 to 13 minutes until risen, nicely domed, and set in the middle but still soft and tender. Cool before turning out.

NickiNavarro gave me her icing recipe for these cupcakes. OMG it's the best icing I've ever had!!!

Thick Cream Cheese Frosting

4 ounces Philly cream cheese
1/4 stick butter, room temperature
2 cups sifted powdered sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla

1. Beat butter vigorously with an electric mixer.
2. Scrape the bowl and add the cream cheese and beat until combined.
3. Add the sifted powdered sugar and vanilla and beat until smooth.

This will only frost about 12 cupcakes

These were so good! They did turn out a little thick. I used all-purpose flour & Nicki said next time to try cake flour. And don't use cold beer. Use room temp beer. The recipe tells you to melt the butter, but the cold beer will make the butter hard again lol. They don't have an overwhelming beer flavor. They have a richness to them but are not overly sweet. If you love beer bread, try these cupcakes. They weren't hard to make at all. I hardly ever bake & had no issues with these. I think they'll be a St. Patty's tradition in my house.

by on Jun. 9, 2011 at 1:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
momma-flynn
by on Jun. 9, 2011 at 1:53 PM

The only person who did not like these was my dad. He only drinks super light beer. So if you are not a beer fan, they may not be the best cupcakes for you. 

periwinkle163
by on Jun. 9, 2011 at 2:52 PM

Those sound interesting.

andrea96
by on Jun. 9, 2011 at 4:28 PM

Interesting. I do like beer, but I don't really like Guinness.

Terri441
by on Jun. 9, 2011 at 4:41 PM
I love Guinness! Cool idea :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
La-Belle-Vie
by on Jun. 9, 2011 at 5:13 PM
I love Guinness, great idea and it looks amazing!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SweetLuci
by Bronze Member on Jun. 9, 2011 at 9:33 PM

Interesting. DH likes Guiness.

momma-flynn
by on Jun. 10, 2011 at 11:11 AM

Then you would love these! I prefer beers a little lighter than Guiness, but I still loved these. My dh was in heaven lol. 

Quoting Terri441:

I love Guinness! Cool idea :)

KamsOne
by on Jun. 10, 2011 at 2:24 PM

Same here, we like light beers.  But the cupcakes look delicious.

Quoting momma-flynn:

The only person who did not like these was my dad. He only drinks super light beer. So if you are not a beer fan, they may not be the best cupcakes for you. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)