If you have some left over potatoes from last night's dinner, an easy incorporation for another dinner is a Nicoise Salad. Sounds fancy, but really it's just the French version of a chopped salad. There's a little bit of everything in it. I made this salad this week, and everyone loved it because of all the different toppings available. I actually made it salad bar style so people could put what they wanted on it, instead of having to pick out what they didn't like.
Here's what I used to build the salad which serves six:
• 2 grilled or otherwise cooked tuna steaks* (8 oz each) or 2-3 cans of tuna
• 6 hard boiled eggs, peeled and either halved or quartered
• 10 small new red potatoes, quartered
• Salt and freshly ground black pepper
• 2 medium heads Boston lettuce or butter lettuce, leaves washed, dried, and torn into bite-sized pieces
• 3 small ripe tomatoes, cored and cut into eighths
• 1 small red onion, sliced very thin
• 8 ounces green beans, stem ends trimmed and each bean halved crosswise
• 1/4 cup niçoise olives
• 2 Tbsp capers, rinsed and/or several anchovies (optional)
Mom's have you ever used grilled or left over potatoes in your green salads, and if so, how did you like it? Please share!