Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Dinner Ideas Dinner Ideas

Baked Potatoes in the Crockpot

Posted by on Jun. 10, 2011 at 3:43 PM
  • 7 Replies

Baked Potatoes in the Crockpot - cooks.com

8 to 12 potatoes
foil

1.   (No need to heat up your oven, plus they'll stay hot until needed.) Prick potatoes with fork and wrap in foil. A 5 quart crock pot will hold about 12. Cover and cook on low 8 to 10 hours or on high 2 1/2 to 4 hours. Do not add water.

by on Jun. 10, 2011 at 3:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
La-Belle-Vie
by on Jun. 10, 2011 at 3:45 PM
Wow, I never thought to make them in the crock pot.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SweetLuci
by Bronze Member on Jun. 10, 2011 at 4:22 PM

What a great idea. I never thought of using the crockpot for this.

Kimberly954
by on Jun. 10, 2011 at 4:24 PM

I have never thought to use the crockpot for this either. But question, how much electricity are you really saving at the end of the day? Oven on for an hour or microwave for 5 minutes vs crockpot for 10 hours???

AlL_eYeS_oN_mE
by on Jun. 10, 2011 at 4:28 PM

wow i never thought of doing this! thanks for sharing

periwinkle163
by on Jun. 10, 2011 at 5:06 PM

That would be a good way to keep them warm for a big group.

SweetLuci
by Bronze Member on Jun. 11, 2011 at 8:55 AM

Probably not a lot. I think most people use the crockpot to keep from heating up their kitchen, or if they were using the oven for something else. I found this info that states a lot depends on whether you have an electric or gas oven and what the rates are where you live, but it looks like it's about the same (didn't have info for microwave):

So, what if you live somewhere like the East Coast, for example, where electricity rates are very high? Will you still save money if you use a crockpot, as opposed to your electric oven?

Let’s say for the sake of an example that where you live your electric company charges 8.2 cents per kWh and your electric oven uses 2900 watts, then it costs approximately 16 cents to run your oven for one hour.

Since most people run their ovens for about 30 hours a month, then the power cost to run your oven for one month is only about $4.80. That’s not too bad, and that’s with a higher rate per kWh.

Since most crockpots only use about 200 watts, then even at this higher rate you would only be spending about 2 cents per hour to run your crockpot. So, if you run your crockpot for 8 hours to cook a meal, then this is only going to cost you 16 cents per 8 hours.

Quoting Kimberly954:

I have never thought to use the crockpot for this either. But question, how much electricity are you really saving at the end of the day? Oven on for an hour or microwave for 5 minutes vs crockpot for 10 hours???

delanna6two
by Silver Member on Jun. 11, 2011 at 9:47 AM

Thanks for the info...I did not know...but I was thinking maybe the crockpot would use a little less power.

Quoting SweetLuci:

Probably not a lot. I think most people use the crockpot to keep from heating up their kitchen, or if they were using the oven for something else. I found this info that states a lot depends on whether you have an electric or gas oven and what the rates are where you live, but it looks like it's about the same (didn't have info for microwave):

So, what if you live somewhere like the East Coast, for example, where electricity rates are very high? Will you still save money if you use a crockpot, as opposed to your electric oven?

Let’s say for the sake of an example that where you live your electric company charges 8.2 cents per kWh and your electric oven uses 2900 watts, then it costs approximately 16 cents to run your oven for one hour.

Since most people run their ovens for about 30 hours a month, then the power cost to run your oven for one month is only about $4.80. That’s not too bad, and that’s with a higher rate per kWh.

Since most crockpots only use about 200 watts, then even at this higher rate you would only be spending about 2 cents per hour to run your crockpot. So, if you run your crockpot for 8 hours to cook a meal, then this is only going to cost you 16 cents per 8 hours.

Quoting Kimberly954:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN