Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Dinner Ideas Dinner Ideas

Homemade Crispy Seasoned French Fries

Posted by on Jun. 20, 2011 at 12:00 AM
  • 55 Replies

French fries go with everything. Am I wrong? They put a smile on your face with every crispy crunchy bite.

I recently tried out this homemade French fry recipe to go along with our hot dogs and hamburgers from the grill. What makes them really tasty is the seasoned coating that adds some extra crispness and flavor. We usually make the frozen kind, but I decided, why not go all out for once.

Here's the recipe, which I got from one of my fav cooking sites.

2 ½ pounds russet potatoes, peeled

1 cup all purpose flour

1 teaspoon garlic salt

1 teaspoon onion salt

1 teaspoon paprika

½ cup water, or as needed

1 cup vegetable oil for frying

Slice potatoes into French fries, and place into cold water so they won't turn brown while you prepare the oil.

Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. While the oil is heating, sift the flour, garlic salt, onion salt, (regular) salt, and paprika into a large bowl. Gradually stir in enough water so that the mixture can be drizzled from a spoon.

Dip potato slices into the batter one at a time, and place in the hot oil so they are not touching at first. The fries must be placed into the skillet one at a time, or they will clump together. Fry until golden brown and crispy. Remove and drain on paper towels

Moms, how do you make your homemade French fries and what do you serve them with?

by on Jun. 20, 2011 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
AlL_eYeS_oN_mE
by on Jun. 20, 2011 at 10:38 AM

i usually blanch mine before frying or baking them. most often i bake them. we like them with ketchup. and omg the picture looks so good now im craving french frys.

August07Mom
by on Jun. 20, 2011 at 10:40 AM

I slice up potatoes and bake them.  I put some seasoning salt on them when they come out of the oven.

andrea96
by on Jun. 20, 2011 at 11:19 AM

I have only made them a few times in the oven. I served them with burgers.

Kimberly954
by on Jun. 20, 2011 at 11:20 AM

Now I want french fries. Those look good. I usually just bake in the oven. I like doing a mix of sweet potato and white potato. I toss in italian dressing and bake.

Faye_Daisy
by on Jun. 20, 2011 at 11:30 AM
I want French fries now
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
August07Mom
by on Jun. 20, 2011 at 11:39 AM

Me too.  LOL

Quoting Faye_Daisy:

I want French fries now

AlL_eYeS_oN_mE
by on Jun. 20, 2011 at 1:14 PM

me three...glad im not alone lol

Quoting August07Mom:

Me too.  LOL

Quoting Faye_Daisy:

I want French fries now

periwinkle163
by on Jun. 20, 2011 at 1:19 PM

I almost always buy mine and bake them. Sometimes I make steak fries though.

KaylaMillar
by Kayla on Jun. 20, 2011 at 1:57 PM
everytime i make homeade fries they never really turn out. Those however sound great! If i do end up serving fries its with hotdogs and hamburgers
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
delanna6two
by Silver Member on Jun. 20, 2011 at 3:12 PM

I peel my potatoes and slice them in fry-like pieces....as close to shoe-string cut as I can get them.....heat up some oil and fry them.....season and serve.

The Seasoned fries recipe sounds good....I want to try them:)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)