Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Dinner Ideas Dinner Ideas

Cooking at Camp

Posted by on Jul. 4, 2011 at 12:00 AM
  • 41 Replies

Camping is one of our family's favorite summer pastimes. We get to commune with nature and spend quality time together - sans TV and cellphones (we have a no plugged in rule while on our camping adventures).

And of course, one of the highlights of our trip is always campfire dinners. We plan these way in advance, because once you're in the woods...you're in the woods, and i've yet to see a 7-11 out there. Yet, another lesson on planning for meals on the go.

Here are a few tips when planning for meals while at camp:

Dry Goods - Try to make meals surrounding items that don't need refrigeration. One of our favs in campfire baked potatoes. Take your spuds, wrap them in tin foil. Place them next to the roaring fire. About 30-40 minutes late you have an awesomely smokey baked potato. Top with a slice of cheese and you have a protein, carb packed dinner. Perfect for the energy you'll need the next day for hiking, biking or fishing.

Don't Forget Your Tools - The perfect pair of tongs will do you good. Make sure they are long, so you don't have to get too close to the fire. Make sure to pack tin foil and any other paper goods that will make your job as campfire chef easier.

Water, water, water - Not only enough to drink, but enough to cook with. You'll need it to boil for coffee, boil pasta or more.

Multi-use Items - If you're gonna bring perishables, make sure you can use them for two meals. Like cheese for your baked potatoes and your sandwiches the next day.

Moms, share your best camp recipes here!

by on Jul. 4, 2011 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
aidansmommy219
by Platinum Member on Jul. 5, 2011 at 11:29 AM

i've never gone camping so i have no clue about what would work best..dh used to go all the time when he was younger and he wants to take ds camping. as long as the bug spray gets packed i dont mind. lol :)

but a baked potato sounds amazing right now!

donna1028
by Donna on Jul. 5, 2011 at 11:33 AM

We also have a no electronics rule, cell phones, game boys and tvs are a no go, its family time.

When we go camping I bring my cast iron skill and pancake mix so all I have to do is add water. top with fresh fruit.

hot dogs for a weenie roast

we like to go fishing and then have fresh fish with baked potatoes and beans.

VanBurren
by Beth on Jul. 5, 2011 at 2:51 PM

My friends love going camping with me, because they say they eat better than at home!!  I make veggie pizzas, shish-kebobs, meatloaf "hotdogs" (I call them Slacker Dogs), and I fix bacon/sausage and eggs every morning.  I'm usually up before everyone else heating up water for hot chocolate and coffee so that it's ready when 'the crew' finally wakes.

I haven't been able to camp yet this year, and I'm so bummed!!!!!

butterfly-jo
by on Jul. 5, 2011 at 3:43 PM

i've never been camping....not really.  i stayed at the grand canyon with my inlaws a few years ago in a travel trailer...which is basically like being in a small version of your home!!!  my fave recipe...would def. be for smores though...omg, i could eat those things all day long!!!!  lol.

VanBurren
by Beth on Jul. 5, 2011 at 7:06 PM

Quoting butterfly-jo:

i've never been camping....not really.  i stayed at the grand canyon with my inlaws a few years ago in a travel trailer...which is basically like being in a small version of your home!!!  my fave recipe...would def. be for smores though...omg, i could eat those things all day long!!!!  lol.

I love s'mores, but sometimes they're just too much trouble, but I DO make sure to treat myself to one toasted marshmallow after each meal while I'm camping!!  LOL

cherylw993
by Cheryl on Jul. 5, 2011 at 8:04 PM

I have never really been camping, but I have sat around a camp fire. Usually we toasted marshmallows or made smores.

My husband always used to go camping and he said that he remember cooking baked beans in a skillet on the fire.

KamsOne
by on Jul. 5, 2011 at 10:40 PM

Great tips!  Thanks!!

When we go camping this summer I'm going to try a few different types of foil packets.  I've never made them but have been wanting to try them.

starfall71
by on Jul. 5, 2011 at 11:42 PM
I haven't been camping in years, and we usually took MREs lol. These are all great ideas, I can't wait to go camping again and try them out!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kurtkamkaitsmom
by Kerry on Jul. 6, 2011 at 1:29 AM

Thanks For the wonderful tips... We love to camp.. roats hot dogs  and do marsh-mellows...

Elizma001
by Member on Jul. 7, 2011 at 6:27 AM

We love to camp, bacon on the fire is the best!!! We also love making the potatoe in foil and don't forget the toasted sarmies!!!! Can't wait for summer to go camping again.

ladybug

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)