Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Dinner Ideas Dinner Ideas

Easy Sides for Backyard Barbecuing

Posted by on Jul. 11, 2011 at 12:00 AM
  • 80 Replies

Is it just me, or does it seem like there's a barbeque going on every weekend? No, it's not just me. It's just a part of summer! A delicious part of summer.

And, while most people focus on what goes on the grill, I like to focus on what goes along with the stuff on the grill - sides! Here are a few of my favorites and I'd love to hear from you about your favorite sides.

Zucchini Carpaccio - Sounds fancy huh? Well, it's actually super easy. Take yellow and green zucchini and slice super super thin. Layer on a plate and drizzle with olive oil, lemon and salt and pepper to taste. It's a nice, cool, and healthy treat to that goes well with fish or chicken.

Tomato, Basil and Mozzarella Skewers -  I had these at a party and went crazy over them. All you need are the three ingredients in the title. And, once they are made, they are simply gorgeous on the table. You'll need skewers, grape tomatoes, fresh basil leaves, and small bite sized pieces of fresh mozzarella.

Doctored Baked Beans - Really, this is just an awesome short cut I use when I want good baked beans that taste more like homemade. I get a can of my favorite baked beans, but then I add chopped bell peppers, onions and a little brown sugar when I'm simmering it. Turns out great and no one is the wiser.

Moms, share your favorite barbeque sides here!

by on Jul. 11, 2011 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
PEEK05
by on Jul. 11, 2011 at 2:12 PM

Mmm I want to try the baked beans listed here.

aidansmommy219
by Platinum Member on Jul. 11, 2011 at 2:26 PM

those skewers look sooo good. my stepdad makes this as a salad a lot..doesnt grill it..its a favorite of mine.

the baked beans sound amazing as well! im not a big fan of zucchini but even that sounds pretty good!

VanBurren
by Beth on Jul. 11, 2011 at 2:34 PM

We doctor a can of baked beans, too.  I've always loved deviled eggs at b-b-ques.  I've also made 7-layer salad to take along to several b-b-ques, and there are several different ways to make it.  I make mine with lettuce, onions, peas, green pepper, celery, cheese and bacon; mix a litte mayo with some sugar and spread over the top. 

butterfly-jo
by on Jul. 11, 2011 at 8:16 PM

we like baked beans, pasta salad....the normal stuff...but i like to add my fave sides (being the veggies...squash, corn, zucchini) to the grill too!!!!  grilled veggies are the best!!!

shany76
by Member on Jul. 11, 2011 at 9:10 PM

do you put the grilled veggies in like an aluminum foil pouch or just open face on the grill? I have charcoal and I know most people use gas ( at leat the grilling gu-ruhs do).

kurtkamkaitsmom
by Kerry on Jul. 11, 2011 at 11:39 PM

grilled veggies.. thanks for the recipes

amyjane22
by Amy on Jul. 12, 2011 at 4:55 PM

Wow, those skewers look amazing!  Perfect for summertime :)

carolina_gal
by Member on Jul. 12, 2011 at 6:28 PM

We had a cookout recently and a friend brought skewers that almost identical to those.  They were yummy!

starfall71
by on Jul. 12, 2011 at 8:53 PM
The usual salads - macaroni, potato. But i love grilled veggies too! Those baked beans sound delicious! I would add a little bacon too.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
elijahsmama09
by Bronze Member on Jul. 12, 2011 at 11:58 PM

Our families baked beans are doctored can, and then bacon on top that is baked until the bacon is crispy:) Yum.

I love veggie sides, just toss salads, the great italian trio of tomatoes, basil and mozz.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)