Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Dinner Ideas Dinner Ideas

Salads are great. But let's face it, they get boring. After a while we get into salad ruts, especially during the summer when a nice fresh salad becomes the perfect go to dinner. Besides the basic lettuce and veggies, here are a few of my favorite salad toppings that make things interesting.

Nuts - Every salad needs a little crunch. And, right now, adding nuts is one of my favorite salad fixes. I've done toasted almond slivers, toasted walnuts, even crushed peanuts to an Asian themed salad. If you want to get more gourmet, you could even do sunflower or pumpkin seeds. Really the possibilities are endless.

Fruit - When you think of green salads, you usually don't think of berries. But, I do. I recently had the most delicious salad that consisted of butter lettuce, spinach, strawberries, goat cheese and other veggies. So good and so fresh. You could also use blueberries or pomegranate seeds.

Beans - These little guys really add a fiber punch to your salad along with some added protein. Try navy, great northern, garbanzo or kidney beans along with your next salad.

So, next time you decide to have a dinner party, why not set up a salad bar with a few of these ingredients along with the standard favorites of tomatoes, cucumbers, mushrooms and celery. Not only will there be a wide selection, but your guests will love the freedom they have to create!

Moms, what are your favorite salad toppings?

by on Jul. 18, 2011 at 12:00 AM
Replies (51-60):
SherriPie
by on Jul. 20, 2011 at 4:24 PM

Quoting elasmimi:

Chopped boiled eggs.

I love to add boiled eggs, but I usually only add those if I'm at a salad bar.

dixiegurl223626
by Member on Jul. 20, 2011 at 5:20 PM

I have to have cheese on my salad. I also like tomatos, croutons, and nuts. Berries are also great on salads!

bether89
by Member on Jul. 20, 2011 at 5:37 PM

I like bacon bits, cucumbers, tomatoes, carrots, and french dressing are my favorite toppings.

bether89
by Member on Jul. 20, 2011 at 5:38 PM

I also like broccoli and cauliflower.

cleanaturalady
by New Member on Jul. 20, 2011 at 5:47 PM

I love baby greens with blueberries, feta and pecans. 

elijahsmama09
by Bronze Member on Jul. 20, 2011 at 5:50 PM
I love salty and sweet combos. I really like adding fruit to my salads.
Madelaine
by Member on Jul. 20, 2011 at 6:00 PM

Fresh veggies

ilovemyboys84
by New Member on Jul. 20, 2011 at 6:12 PM

i love cucumbers, croutons, shredded cheese and carrots

Charizma77
by Member on Jul. 20, 2011 at 6:51 PM

I like everything on my salad! I'm not picky when it comes to salad!

ethans_momma06
by on Jul. 20, 2011 at 8:10 PM

Croutons.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN