Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Dinner Ideas Dinner Ideas

Shortcuts from One Mom to Another

Posted by   + Show Post

Psst. Hey moms. Got some dinner shortcuts you want to share? I've got some too. We're busy people with a laundry list of chores and duties, so we literally have no time to spare. Here are a few of my favorite dinner time savers.

Use Your Freezer Wisely - Whenever meat is on sale, I buy it in bulk. It saves money for sure, as grocery prices have reallly been on the rise. Once I get it home, I get out my freezer storage bags, and divide up the packages into meal sized portions. That way, whenever I want to use it, I just pull out the perfect sized bag from the freezer and we're good to go after a few hours of defrosting. One helpful hint, don't forget to mark the bag with the type of meat and the date it was frozen.

Slow Cooker - Truly your "set it and forget" friend. I use my slow cooker SO much, even in the summer months. With a really active three year old at home, plus a part time job, sometimes it's a real treat to have a no brainer dinner.  Usually you can stretch your slow cooker creations into two dinners. At least I do. If I'm making a roast, we can have it that night and then perhaps the next night reinvented into soft tacos.

Swap One Thing for Another - Ever find yourself just ONE ingredient short of a great dinner? Well, it happens to the best of us. I've found recently that potatoes work just as well as rice in certain dishes. Also, not sure about using lemon juice in your recipe? Try lime. Whatever works! No marinade? Use Italian dressing instead.

Moms, what are your dinner time saver ideas?

by on Jul. 18, 2011 at 12:00 AM
Replies (61-66):
Pnukey
by Member on Jul. 20, 2011 at 11:39 PM

I love my slow cooker! I'm using it tomorrow (or maybe Friday) so I don't have to turn on the oven.

Peajewel
by New Member on Jul. 20, 2011 at 11:40 PM

I will make a bunch of things on Sunday if I am off so that during the week I have a lot done already.  I will cook up a bunch of chicken and then use it for salads or tacos or whatever else I can think of during the week.  I will also make up a pan of lasagna and freeze it. I would rather get things finished on Sunday so during the week it is simple to make.

Jerichos_Mommy
by Member on Jul. 20, 2011 at 11:54 PM

Great ideas thanks for sharing.

daerca574
by Member on Jul. 21, 2011 at 10:59 AM

If I know I am going to be busy for the week, I will make extra browned ground beef, or chopped onions or whatever, and freeze it.  I also try to use all of my leftovers!

daerca574
by Member on Jul. 21, 2011 at 10:59 AM

When I make a slow-cooker dinner, I prepare it the night before so in the morning all I have to do it plug it in!

Kmakksmom
by on Jan. 12, 2012 at 8:41 PM
I love our crock pot and microwave. Because of those two appliances my kids think I am an awesome cook, lol.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)