Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Dinner Ideas Dinner Ideas

Back to School Dinner Recipes Part 2

Posted by on Sep. 5, 2011 at 12:00 AM
  • 27 Replies

Making a meal stretch is not only smart, it's easy! I love making something for dinner that can also be used in a lunch the next day, not only for my husband's lunch but for the kid's lunch as well. Whether it's a roast for dinner with sandwiches the next day, leftovers make the perfect meal.

Last week I made baked chicken for dinner and was able to turn it into chicken rolls up for lunch the next day for the kids and a chicken salad for myself.  I've also been known to take meatballs from last night's spaghetti dinner and serve up some mean sandwiches the next day.

Moms, how do you stretch your meals to make cooking easier during busy times?

by on Sep. 5, 2011 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
butterfly-jo
by on Sep. 5, 2011 at 12:15 PM

my dh usually takes left overs (especially meat) for lunch the next day....but he usually doesn't turn it into something else...he just takes what we have already made.

however, i do use grilled chicken in my salads sometimes. 

my inlaws will make chicken on a post (on the grill) and then with the left overs, they make enchiladas and use the bones (w/ meat on it) to make chicken soup too.....

VanBurren
by Beth on Sep. 5, 2011 at 2:45 PM

My leftovers are usually eaten as is for a day or two later; I don't turn one meal's leftovers into another dish the next day.  I really should try to be a little more creative in that way. 

aidansmommy219
by Platinum Member on Sep. 5, 2011 at 5:05 PM
Same here.

Quoting VanBurren:

My leftovers are usually eaten as is for a day or two later; I don't turn one meal's leftovers into another dish the next day.  I really should try to be a little more creative in that way. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kurtkamkaitsmom
by Kerry on Sep. 5, 2011 at 9:07 PM

I usually don't have left overs... My hubby works night and takes  the food with him  But your recipes sounds good.. :o)

lasombrs
by on Sep. 6, 2011 at 12:49 AM

Ham or turkey is our best strectch meal. a huge ham turns into omlets the next morning, sanwhichs, calzones, or even just more ham! We try to buy the biggest we can find and eat it for almost a week.

I love ham :P Its one of my favorite meals

Flaca43
by Platinum Member on Sep. 6, 2011 at 12:13 PM
I love meatball sandwiches! I should really remember to make them too! They would be delicious!

I usually make enough for leftovers for the next day. However, I don't think of making something into another meal. I really should though.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MamaMandee
by Mandee on Sep. 6, 2011 at 1:46 PM

Any leftovers are often eaten for lunch the next day but if I make something like ham or a chicken I will make things with it like: sandwiches, in salads, wraps or soups. 

donna1028
by Donna on Sep. 6, 2011 at 7:17 PM

I am good for turning leftovers into casseroles. my dh will take leftovers for lunch the next day.

supergirl_mommy
by Silver Member on Sep. 7, 2011 at 8:13 AM
If I expect to be using a lot of turkey within 2wks to a month I get a full turkey and bake it then cut it/shred it and freeze majority of it so its ready to grab and cook for a quick meal.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Flaca43
by Platinum Member on Sep. 7, 2011 at 9:02 AM
Good idea!

Quoting supergirl_mommy:

If I expect to be using a lot of turkey within 2wks to a month I get a full turkey and bake it then cut it/shred it and freeze majority of it so its ready to grab and cook for a quick meal.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN