Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Dinner Ideas Dinner Ideas

Adding Some Zing to Your Favorite Side Dishes

Posted by   + Show Post

If your family is anything like my family, you have some favorite go-to side dishes that make a regular appearance through out the week. Our family favorite sides are almost always potato oriented and whether they show up baked, fried or mashed, we've been looking for ways to spice them up. The quickest and easiest way that I have found is to use spices and fresh herbs. Both pack a powerful taste and have little affect on calorie counts. I like the last part the best.

My family loves diced potatoes that I brown in a frying pan with a little garlic and olive oil. It goes well with most chicken and beef dishes or when we are making breakfast for dinner. Last week, I threw in some diced Anaheim chilies. Instant hit. You could also use jalapenos if you really want a kick. Beware of too much spice though. You can just remove the seeds and inner membranes when cutting and the chilies will be a lot less powerful.

Dill or rosemary is excellent mixed in mashed potatoes. Depending on what flavor palate you are in the mood for, you can use a variety of herbs in any way to match your main course.

Moms, how do you spice up your favorite family sides?  

by on Sep. 19, 2011 at 12:00 AM
Replies (11-20):
Flaca43
by Platinum Member on Sep. 19, 2011 at 2:29 PM
Hmmm...I've got to try that.

Quoting butterfly-jo:

my hubby adds steak seasonin to everything (veggies, pastas...everything) and it gives it a little kick.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cherylw993
by Cheryl on Sep. 19, 2011 at 7:48 PM

this sounds really good. I should try it.

Quoting Granny1952:

I like to make ranch mashed potatoes. I use a dry ranch packet and replace the milk with ranch dressing. I make sure potatoes are mashed really good then add the other ingredients. Oh yeh, I still use the butter, what can I say, butter is excellent.

cherylw993
by Cheryl on Sep. 19, 2011 at 7:49 PM

Me too

Quoting Flaca43:

Hmmm...I've got to try that.

Quoting butterfly-jo:

my hubby adds steak seasonin to everything (veggies, pastas...everything) and it gives it a little kick.

donna1028
by Donna on Sep. 19, 2011 at 9:51 PM

lots of garlic, onions, peppers, and other spices. I am not crazy about rosemary but everyone else likes it so I use it. my fav it garlic, roasted or sauteed

lasombrs
by on Sep. 19, 2011 at 10:31 PM

we try to make potatoes a different way each time we eat them so they arent allways baked or mashed etc. DH makes his own french fries and potatoe chips :) super yummy

amyjane22
by Amy on Sep. 20, 2011 at 10:39 PM
Garlic, onion, chili powder, mrs. Dash
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ARmom
by on Sep. 24, 2011 at 11:35 AM

garlic, old fashioned salt and pepper, paprika

ARmom
by on Sep. 24, 2011 at 11:38 AM

I do a version of small potatoes too - 

Cut in half small red potatoes
Season in olive oil, seasoning salt, & pepper
Bake in oven at 350 for 30 min.

My kids love them! 

itsblissmas
by on Sep. 24, 2011 at 6:33 PM

I'm terrible at spicing things up. Just terrible. LOL!

kurtkamkaitsmom
by Kerry on Sep. 24, 2011 at 10:11 PM

same here. :o)

Quoting ARmom:

garlic, old fashioned salt and pepper, paprika

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN