Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Dinner Ideas Dinner Ideas

One Sack of Potatoes, One Week of Delicious Sides

Posted by on Oct. 3, 2011 at 12:00 AM
  • 28 Replies

Last Saturday, I brought a sack of potatoes while at the grocery store. It was a good deal. I could not help it. But, come Sunday, I just stared at it, wondering what the heck I was going to do with an entire sack of potatoes.

Then it hit me. Sitting in front of me was a whole week of delicious sides - endless possibilities. Yes, we would be eating a lot of potatoes that week, but it would be fun, because it was a challenge to come up with different and new ideas.  Here's what I came up with for dinner sides Monday through Friday.

Curried Baked Potatoes - I've been loving curry lately. So, I thought this dish would make an excellent accompaniment to grilled chicken and tomatoes. Boy did it ever. I peeled and cubed the potatoes. Put them into a large zip lock bag. Added some olive oil along with some cumin and curry. Shook it all up, and placed on a baking sheet. Popped in the oven at 425 until they were tender. Yum!

Kale and Potato Chips - I peeled and sliced a few potatoes into chip like pieces, and placed them on a baking sheet along with some kale. I drizzled olive oil over everything, then sprinkled with sea salt and paprika. This particular night we were having fish. So, fish and chips if you will!  Not only do you get crispy, tasty potato chips with half the calories, but you're getting in a whole serving of veggies as well.

Baked Potatoes - Ok, I know this sounds like a no brainer, but baked potatoes were our dinner that night. We made them hearty by topping with our favorite store bought chili along with cheese, shredded lettuce and sour cream.

Olive Oil Dill Boiled Potatoes - We had this dish along side some crispy baked chicken. I took the potatoes, and cut into chunks. Boiled until tender, then let cool. Topped with butter and olive oil, chives and dill. Topped with a little squeeze of lemon. It made for a nice tangy side.  I can definitely see this going along with some salmon as well.

Crispy Golden Fried Hash Browns - Here we are again with breakfast for dinner, a definitive family favorite. I made these hash browns and served them along side ham steak. over medium eggs, and of course toast.

Moms, what would you make for a week of delicious potato sides?

by on Oct. 3, 2011 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
supergirl_mommy
by Silver Member on Oct. 3, 2011 at 12:06 AM
My kids love their mashed potatoes and baked potatoes and pan fried potatoes, and homemade potato chips
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Flaca43
by Platinum Member on Oct. 3, 2011 at 12:08 AM
Those sides sound delicious! I want to make some roasted potatoes as a side one day this week. I would also make potato salad, baked potatoes with chives and sour cream or twice baked potatoes.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MamaMandee
by Mandee on Oct. 3, 2011 at 12:47 AM
We make our own french fries & chips a lot. Along with hash browns, bakers,mashed (lots of different flavors depending on the dish) cut up potatoes with different seasonings. I also like making potato cakes with leftover mashed potatoes.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cherylw993
by Cheryl on Oct. 3, 2011 at 7:12 AM

I love potatoes and could eat them everyday. One of my favorites recipe is from my Better Homes and Gardens Cookbook.

Easy Roasted Potatoes

Prep: 10 minutes Bake: 55 minutes

ingredients
    medium round red or white potatoes (1 pound), cut into eighths, or 10 to 12 tiny new potatoes (1 pound), halved
    tablespoons olive oil
  • 1/2
    teaspoon onion powder
  • 1/4
    teaspoon salt
  • 1/4
    teaspoon black pepper
  • 1/8
    teaspoon paprika
    clove garlic, minced

directions

1. Place potatoes in a greased 9x9x2-inch baking pan. In a small bowl combine oil, onion powder, salt, pepper, paprika, and garlic. Drizzle oil mixture drizzle over potatoes, tossing to coat. Roast, uncovered, in a 325 degrees F oven for 45 minutes. Stir potatoes; bake for 10 to 20 minutes more or until potatoes are tender and brown on the edges.

2. Makes 4 servings

auroragold
by Member on Oct. 3, 2011 at 7:34 AM

scalloped potatoes with ham

double baked potatoes

OliviasMommy611
by Brittney on Oct. 3, 2011 at 7:34 AM
I love your healthy twist on fish and chips!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
auroragold
by Member on Oct. 3, 2011 at 7:39 AM

AND.......if you have space, they CAN be frozen (but there's prep work involved......)

amy7243
by Amy on Oct. 3, 2011 at 7:43 AM
Mmm~now I am hungry for potatoes :) we love potato soup.
Flaca43
by Platinum Member on Oct. 3, 2011 at 8:09 AM
I'm going to make this!

Quoting cherylw993:

I love potatoes and could eat them everyday. One of my favorites recipe is from my Better Homes and Gardens Cookbook.

Easy Roasted Potatoes

Prep: 10 minutes Bake: 55 minutes

ingredients

medium round red or white potatoes (1 pound), cut into eighths, or 10 to 12 tiny new potatoes (1 pound), halved

tablespoons olive oil

• 1/2
    teaspoon onion powder

• 1/4
    teaspoon salt

• 1/4
    teaspoon black pepper

• 1/8
    teaspoon paprika

clove garlic, minced

directions

1. Place potatoes in a greased 9x9x2-inch baking pan. In a small bowl combine oil, onion powder, salt, pepper, paprika, and garlic. Drizzle oil mixture drizzle over potatoes, tossing to coat. Roast, uncovered, in a 325 degrees F oven for 45 minutes. Stir potatoes; bake for 10 to 20 minutes more or until potatoes are tender and brown on the edges.

2. Makes 4 servings

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
donna1028
by Donna on Oct. 3, 2011 at 9:22 AM

roasted potatoes with evoo and rosemary

loaded mashed potatoes

scalloped potatoes

hot cracked red potatoes-boil small red potatoes until fork tender then place them on a cookie sheet that is generously drizzled with evoo using a potato masher give each one a smash so they look like cookies brush or drizzle some evoo on top  sprinkle with favorite herb and kosher salt bake at 400 for 15 minutes until they get nice and crisp yummy they make a great side to steak or anything else or to just eat while standing in front of the stove.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN