Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Fall Freshness - Using What's In Season

Posted by on Oct. 10, 2011 at 12:00 AM
  • 28 Replies
3 moms liked this

Fall is here. And thank goodness. I love fall for so many reasons - football, cooler weather, and rich colors. But most of all, I love the produce that is in season this time of year - hearty vegetables that stand up really well to many of our standard staples! Here are a few fall veggies that really do some double duty in the kitchen both with taste and nutrition. Here, I pair them with (what else) potatoes!

Kale - I've really been on a kale kick here. Anyone else? It's delicious and nutritious and the bright green color is just gorgeous. Recently, I made a great beef stew that incorporated potatoes, carrots, onions, garlic and Italian spices. At the tail end of simmering it all down, I added some torn kale leaves. It added such a vibrant color to the stew and a real freshness that everyone enjoyed.

Butternut Squash - I cannot say enough about butternut squash. It's creamy, light and has an amazing nutty flavor. I used my recent butternut squash purchase for a delectable soup. I pan roasted potatoes, butternut squash and sweet potatoes in the oven with rosemary, olive oil and sea salt. Once done, I added it all to the food processor and pureed it all with some cream. I also added a bit of veggie broth to smooth it all out. I served it piping hot with a dollop of sour cream and some chives. French bread was on the side for dipping. So good!

Moms, what are your favorite fall foods and how do you prepare them?

by on Oct. 10, 2011 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kurtkamkaitsmom
by Kerry on Oct. 10, 2011 at 12:09 AM

Oh yum all the ideas sound so good... I love all  kind so squash .butternut,,, I love acorn squash as well  cut it in have clean  out the seeds.. put a tad of butter some seasons yummm.. We love pumpkin here too and thing with pumpkin is a most ...

butterfly-jo
by on Oct. 10, 2011 at 6:27 AM

i love squash...it is so good.  and ...my MIL makes an awesome curry pumpkin soup in the fall.....ooh i need to ask when she is planning on making that.  yumm!

supergirl_mommy
by Silver Member on Oct. 10, 2011 at 7:42 AM
Love these ideas and everyone in my house and daycare loves squash so we tend to have it more often in the fall
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
OliviasMommy611
by Brittney on Oct. 10, 2011 at 7:54 AM
Pumpkin.. Love it in anything.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Dabberdoo
by Gold Member on Oct. 10, 2011 at 8:16 AM

Stew and chili.  Gotta be my favs.  For chili I just toss it all in the crockpot.  For stew, I usually use left over meat from a previous meal.

Visit my blog about my crazy family of 8 HERE!
If you are a Baptist lady desiring fellowship and support come join us HERE!
Looking for an idea for dinner?  Visit us Here

lasombrs
by on Oct. 10, 2011 at 9:45 AM
butternut squash is a staple here :p ive actually been meaning to make some soup
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
VanBurren
by Beth on Oct. 10, 2011 at 10:08 AM

I actually don't wait for fall to fix foods I love, but ones that are usually for this time of year are chili, pork roasts, stew and beef and noodles (can NEVER get them to taste like mom's!).

Flaca43
by Platinum Member on Oct. 10, 2011 at 11:10 AM
Chili! I love having it in the fall! With nice tomatoes! Mmm..
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
imadekyle
by Gold Member on Oct. 10, 2011 at 8:25 PM
I love all the squash that is out this time of year. So yummy!
I so want to try doing kale. I do understand that it can be bitter if not cooked right. I gotta try it :)
Flaca43
by Platinum Member on Oct. 10, 2011 at 8:57 PM
I don't know if that's the proper name, but I love spaghetti squash! It is so good!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)