Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Dinner Ideas Dinner Ideas

Fall Freshness - Using What's In Season

Posted by   + Show Post

Fall is here. And thank goodness. I love fall for so many reasons - football, cooler weather, and rich colors. But most of all, I love the produce that is in season this time of year - hearty vegetables that stand up really well to many of our standard staples! Here are a few fall veggies that really do some double duty in the kitchen both with taste and nutrition. Here, I pair them with (what else) potatoes!

Kale - I've really been on a kale kick here. Anyone else? It's delicious and nutritious and the bright green color is just gorgeous. Recently, I made a great beef stew that incorporated potatoes, carrots, onions, garlic and Italian spices. At the tail end of simmering it all down, I added some torn kale leaves. It added such a vibrant color to the stew and a real freshness that everyone enjoyed.

Butternut Squash - I cannot say enough about butternut squash. It's creamy, light and has an amazing nutty flavor. I used my recent butternut squash purchase for a delectable soup. I pan roasted potatoes, butternut squash and sweet potatoes in the oven with rosemary, olive oil and sea salt. Once done, I added it all to the food processor and pureed it all with some cream. I also added a bit of veggie broth to smooth it all out. I served it piping hot with a dollop of sour cream and some chives. French bread was on the side for dipping. So good!

Moms, what are your favorite fall foods and how do you prepare them?

by on Oct. 10, 2011 at 12:00 AM
Replies (21-28):
kurtkamkaitsmom
by Kerry on Oct. 13, 2011 at 3:55 PM

same here.. :o)

Quoting Cafe AmyB:

Me too!

Quoting OliviasMommy611:

Pumpkin.. Love it in anything.

Marj171
by Member on Oct. 14, 2011 at 7:55 PM

That soup was awesome!  Never before have I made something so luxurious and rich!

JenGirl12
by on Oct. 15, 2011 at 12:23 PM

I love using pumpkin too! I made an amazing pumpkin soup this past week. I sauteed onion, garlic, and red peppers. Then added s pinch of chili flakes, tumerac, and paprika. Then I added a can of veggie broth (or chicken), and a can of pumkin. I stirred in 1/3 c low fat peanut butter, a tsp of sugar, salt and pepper and let it simmer. Then I blended it all up and added the soup to the bowls. I garneshed it all with a dollop of sour cream, and some chopped scallions and served it with fresh french bread toasted in butter. My husband almost fainted when he ate it, it was DELISH!!!

kurtkamkaitsmom
by Kerry on Oct. 15, 2011 at 2:40 PM

Thanks for sharing the recipe... Sounds very delicious... I have to try it since i love pumpkin.... :o)

Quoting JenGirl12:

I love using pumpkin too! I made an amazing pumpkin soup this past week. I sauteed onion, garlic, and red peppers. Then added s pinch of chili flakes, tumerac, and paprika. Then I added a can of veggie broth (or chicken), and a can of pumkin. I stirred in 1/3 c low fat peanut butter, a tsp of sugar, salt and pepper and let it simmer. Then I blended it all up and added the soup to the bowls. I garneshed it all with a dollop of sour cream, and some chopped scallions and served it with fresh french bread toasted in butter. My husband almost fainted when he ate it, it was DELISH!!!

gingergarcia
by New Member on Oct. 15, 2011 at 6:35 PM

I like butternut squash and i cut it in half, then i put butter and brown sugar around the edges and cook in the oven. I also love pumpkin, and make pumpkin pies and pumpkin trifles. Then theres pecans, i love to use them in a variety of things!

websorceress
by on Nov. 3, 2011 at 10:45 PM

My favorite is Hungarian Chicken soup, although the 'Hungarian' is the use of paprika..........I usually use the body of a chicken, with white meat and thighs attached.......put in large pot, cover the chicken with spring water, add garlic, onions, any veggies you have, like broccoli stalks work great or the center cut out of a cabbage (use the center or a wedge of cabbage), salt, pepper and a lot of paprika........bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for about 3 or 4 hours........about an hour before it's done, add some cut carrots.......when done strain. This can be frozen in individual containers or it will keep well for up to a week in the refrigerator....after it cools in the fridge, skim some fat off the top.....add pasta or anything else you want at meal time.........

Angellinda
I hope your summer is Good!! Have a Happy August~!
Yesterday at 3:05 PM
by New Member on Nov. 6, 2011 at 9:52 AM

I never had spaghetti squash. I Love Acorn squash. I love Sweet potatoes & I love Chili!!  I just have issues.,.. finding it affordable and being able to make stuff.. I have many brutal side effects from Cancer & Chemo. But I could go for some pumpkin pie! Do Love a Good carrot Cake!! I have so much to make up for.. Since I had one year all last year of being  unable to eat much or taste anything. Without it burning or tasting Bad!pink ribbonpumpkin pie

Kmakksmom
by on Jan. 13, 2012 at 3:42 PM
Squash is great! Also zucchini.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)