Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Dinner Ideas Dinner Ideas

Theme Night - Britain Fish and Chips

Posted by on Oct. 17, 2011 at 12:00 AM
  • 27 Replies
3 moms liked this

To break up the dinner monotony, I like to throw theme nights at my house. It's really not as intensive as it sounds, but rather a fun way to spice up an evening at home. Most recently, we had a UK or Great Britain Night. And what did I make? Fish and Chips! It was so easy, and so tasty. Here's how I did it.

I breaded and baked my fish instead of frying. I know, how could I? But it still tasted delicious and came out golden brown on the outside and moist on the inside. As for the chips, I sliced and peeled russet potatoes into fries. You could always make them thick cut, if that's what your family likes best. Those, I fried. Come on? I could not skimp there. Once done, I laid them out on paper towels to get the excess oil off. I salted them, then served hot along side with the fish and a bit of tater sauce for dipping.

To complete the night, I got a Union Jack tablecloth from a party store, and I served our fish and chips in a basket on top of real newspaper. How's that for authentic?

Moms, what kind of theme night would you throw?

by on Oct. 17, 2011 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MamaMandee
by Mandee on Oct. 17, 2011 at 1:01 AM
1 mom liked this

How Cute!! Mexican food is my family's fav, so I would throw a fiesta. 

cherylw993
by Cheryl on Oct. 17, 2011 at 6:39 AM

Yum, that looks really good.

Italian and Mexican is a favorite in my house

kurtkamkaitsmom
by Kerry on Oct. 17, 2011 at 6:39 AM

That is cute..... I think it would be Italian or Mexican i would throw.. those two are a favorite here... :o)

supergirl_mommy
by Silver Member on Oct. 17, 2011 at 6:54 AM
This sounds really good..we do a lot of Italian and Mexican food in my house
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
OliviasMommy611
by Brittney on Oct. 17, 2011 at 7:23 AM
What a cute and easy idea!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
VanBurren
by Beth on Oct. 17, 2011 at 8:24 AM

I'm pretty much with all the other ladies so far. . .Mexican and Italian are the top meals that I cook here.  Although, with Derrick being from New Orleans, I'd have to throw in a Cajun night with some gumbo or jambalaya!

Flaca43
by Platinum Member on Oct. 17, 2011 at 9:23 AM
How cute! I would do an Irish night since I hardly make food from my country. Also a Puerto Rican night since all of us our and we love our food!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
donna1028
by Donna on Oct. 17, 2011 at 10:02 AM

we do Mexican, Italian, polish, Irish and Indian. I like to do theme nights based on our family heritage. its a great chance to talk to the kids about their ancestors. I also like to do theme nights based on tasty foods we love (like Mexican).

lasombrs
by on Oct. 17, 2011 at 10:36 AM
we love fish and chips! we could do that, irish, and cuban usually. no fun tablecloths for us though, ds wont leave them on the table
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
amyjane22
by Amy on Oct. 17, 2011 at 2:25 PM
That sounds really cool!
I'd probably do an Italian night: music, cute tablecloth, and good food.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)